Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

941 - 960 of 1008 Posts

·
Registered
97 S600 Coupe. Former 83 300D, 97 C230, 93 400E, 92 500SL, a few others
458 Posts
Sorry Jim, I meant 255s. That's what I have. You are 1000% correct. Mods, you might as well remove or edit my post for correct info, sorry to waste bandwidth. Any reason went with 245s or did they just not come in 255?

I wish all my cars had accurate speedometers like my benzes have. VW is a nightmare, all guesswork. I check them all with my map app GPS.

·
Registered
94 - S500 Cpe
473 Posts
Ok, understand . . . 255s are perfect when you consider speedo accuracy.

It's a long story for me: originally bought DIFFERENT sizes for back and front b/c I had deep offset wheels on the back. I sadly realized that the tires couldn't be rotated!! Also, the front tires had a slight 'rub' on the fender when backing out of a driveway with a 'full-cut' into the street.

So this time, I was going to be sure that I could rotate all four tires and no rub!! The tire shop didn't have the 255s and I got a great deal on the 245s. So economics played a major part in my decision.

·
Premium Member
Mercedes Benz
1,970 Posts
I went with the straight plus size of 235-50-18 and end up with a 0.7% gain in overall height. NO other change. I see the 255-45-18 is a more correct option.

Can someone elaborate on the wheel speed sensor (WSS) thump or post a thread link for the symptom and repair?

Cheers.

·
Registered
94 - S500 Cpe
473 Posts
I went with the straight plus size of 235-50-18 and end up with a 0.7% gain in overall height. NO other change. I see the 255-45-18 is a more correct option.
And a 0.6% error in the speedo reading . . .

Can someone elaborate on the wheel speed sensor (WSS) thump or post a thread link for the symptom and repair?
A WSS "thump"?? Not sure what you mean?? If the tires are out-of-round or have excessive runout as my Mich A/S 3+ had, that produces a SWW and a 'heavy' thump starting around 45mph to over 65mph. You can feel the thump in the steering wheel.

·
Premium Member
Mercedes Benz
1,970 Posts
Well yeah, obviously there will be a speedo error. It amounts to 1mph.

Ah- the way it was written it sounded as if the WSS was creating the thump.

Thanks

·
Registered
94 - S500 Cpe
473 Posts
Kingkash140 . . . your speedo isn't happy .. .
Front: 245/40-20 ----> 2.3%
Rear: 285/35-20 ----> 2.8%

But more importantly, is there a problem with ASR?? . . .

·
3phase-4pole
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #948 ·
The tire specs do look too tall but with the wider wheels it stretches the tires anyway possibly approximating the factory tire height

·
Registered
94 - S500 Cpe
473 Posts
The tire specs do look too tall but with the wider wheels it stretches the tires anyway possibly approximating the factory tire height
Not sure what you mean . . . the tires are too 'big' for the car . . . by 2.3% and 2.8% respectively. But the most serious is the ASR problem.

For my '94, ASR is not defeatable so it wouldn't run! For later models, I believe you can turn it off so maybe that would get around the problem.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Kingkash140 . . . your speedo isn't happy .. .
Front: 245/40-20 ----> 2.3%
Rear: 285/35-20 ----> 2.8%

But more importantly, is there a problem with ASR?? . . .
My speedo doesn't seem to be off maybe just a little but nothing noticeable that definitely leads me to think there's s a huge issue, and as far as my traction or asr I experience no issues at all neither, just bolted up and roll I had to put a spacer to barely clear the caliper in the rear only due to the offset, and I added some spring lox on the rear springs to have added height since w140's tend to sag in the rear, and I didnt want to add low series tires with no meat, but maybe it's just the older asr system but I had a 92 300e sport line with asr on it with 18" amg monoblocks and still experienced no issues.

·
Registered
14 Posts
At 60mph your speedo says 62.1mph . . . at 67, it's 69.4mph . . you'd get a ticket in CA?
Even if that's the case over here in Texas the cops won't mess with you unless your easily going 10mph or more, so I'm definitely not worried about that.
At 60mph your speedo says 62.1mph . . . at 67, it's 69.4mph . . you'd get a ticket in CA?

·
3phase-4pole
4,955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #953 ·
Looking to finally mount a set of Brabus Monoblock III 20x9.5 squared set.

If I did my math right, I should use 255/35R20 tires. However on the Brabus catalogue thread that just got revived (thank you SL Brabus for posting) the same wheel size calls for either:
A)265/35R20 all four or
B)245/40R20 & 275/35R20

has anyone used 255 on a 9.5” rim? Im not a fan of the stretched look. Also, Isnt it weird staggering the tires when the wheels aren’t?

·
Premium Member
Mercedes Benz
1,970 Posts
Off the top of my head, and feel free to correct me but I am running 18x8.5 ET 37 (I'll double check) Ronal wheels and they are perfect. No spacers needed.

·
Registered
97 S600 Sedan
290 Posts
Fellas,

I got standard AMG W140 rims - 8.5 x 18 ET 47 all around with recommended tires 255/45R18.

Currently I'm thinking that to make it look more flush I need probably 5mm spacers on the front and 10mm spacers on the back. I think rear wheels are sitting a bit deeper inside than front ones.

I'd like to go with H&R but since H&R spacers are a bit pricy I'd like to reduce the number of attempts of buying spacers just to find out I need different ones. They don't accept returns:

Can I test fit TRAK+® and exchange them if needed?
Once spacers have been installed, H&R can no longer accept them for return.
I just checked their trackplus website and according to their "Applications" page they offer DR and DRA spacers in these sizes: 3mm, 5mm, 15mm, 20mm, 25mm and 30mm. Unfortunately, 10mm is not available so it's a bit tricky now since it seems that front and rear wheels require spacers of different sizes. So if I could buy a pair of DR 15mm # 3055665 and go from there.

And to complicate things even further they say that for DR spacers I need to buy longer wheel bolts (at least they provide a formula to measure it) and also they have this note which I don't understand:

For these applications, because of differences in axle cap lengths on the front axle, our wheel spacers can only be used if the center contour is machined out. Because the centering stub can become thin walled, we do not produce this contour. Our systems are usable beginning at 40 mm.
So I wonder if anyone has same wheels what do you think about spacers size? I could leave it as-is but I want the look to be a bit more wide or wheels look more flush with fenders.

PS: just a reminder for myself - our cars have Center Bore: 66.6 and mounting bolts 14 x 1.50.

·
Premium Member
Mercedes Benz
1,970 Posts
I just checked their trackplus website and according to their "Applications" page they offer DR and DRA spacers in these sizes: 3mm, 5mm, 15mm, 20mm, 25mm and 30mm. Unfortunately, 10mm is not available so it's a bit tricky now since it seems that front and rear wheels require spacers of different sizes. So if I could buy a pair of DR 15mm # 3055665 and go from there.

PS: just a reminder for myself - our cars have Center Bore: 66.6 and mounting bolts 14 x 1.50.
I just posted pics of my 18x8.5 ET38. So H&R 10mm wheels spacers would allow your AMGs to look this way. I would go with H&R. They are the best in my experience and per the spec-E30 racing guys I know.

You will need new bolts. I would have to check (and will) the shank length when I reinstall this next weekend.

·
Registered
97 S600 Sedan
290 Posts
Thanks for pics! Now I wonder if 10mm is enough for me or should I go with 15mm? Just don't want to be that guy who has the collection of EXTRA spacers sitting around.

I guess buying 10mm is a safe choice. It should definitely fit the rear though I'm not sure about front. But if it also fits front then I'm pretty sure I'll need a bigger spacers for the rear wheels. So if 10mm will be fine on the front wheels then who knows but maybe I'll have to look for 20mm or 25mm for the rear wheels.

Ooops, I just remembered that H&R website didn't mention 10mm spacers. Damn. I'll have to ask them if it's an error on their website or not. If they don't offer it then idk. I just don't want to order 15mm because it may be too much for the front wheels.

PS: any idea what does this mean?

For these applications, because of differences in axle cap lengths on the front axle, our wheel spacers can only be used if the center contour is machined out. Because the centering stub can become thin walled, we do not produce this contour. Our systems are usable beginning at 40 mm.

941 - 960 of 1008 Posts