#1 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 10:21 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2003
Vehicle: 2001 KLEEMANN C24K
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
What is SAM module and how do you change it?

Just wondering but I believe my SAM module is defective from reading other posts. My car gives random side light error message and on occassion windshield wiper low error and coolant error. There is nothing wrong with any of these things. Once an error shows I can't scroll out of it either. Im stuck at the error screen. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 10:21 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2003
Vehicle: 2001 KLEEMANN C24K
(Thread Starter)
By the way this is on my 2000 S500.
#3 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 10:42 AM

Date registered: Oct 2004
Vehicle: 2005 S500 4-Matic, 1978 450SL "Christine"
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
INFORMATION ON SPECIFIC SAM FUNCTIONS

A SAM (Signal Acquisition Module) functions much as a network router does on a computer or communications network. It monitors input from various switches, controls, monitoring devices, and warning systems. When you push a button on, for example, your dashboard, the signal goes through a SAM before the device you are controlling responds. If there is something wrong with the device you are trying to operate, you will likely then get a warning, delivered through the SAM to the CAN (Controller Area Network) bus. The CAN bus will send the error message to the "error screen" you mentioned (the Multifunction Display, beneath your speedometer), or elsewhere in the instrument cluster. You may also get messages indicating normal operation, such as "car rising" when you raise it by the Airmatic system.

There are SAM units at each large fuse panel (the fuse panels are mounted on them and connect to them): The two under the hood and the one under the right side of the rear seat. In addition, the "electronic fuses" identified in the fuse diagrams are located within the SAMs. See posts 6 and 12 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ocation-2.html for more on electronic fuses.

Thanks to member BulletheadD, we have the following information on specific SAM functions. This is for a W220 with CODE (614) Bi-xenon headlamp unit control unit N10/7; other models may models may have slight differences, but the following should illustrate the point.

In the descriptions below, "Right" and "Left" are from the driver's seat, facing forward, per the Owner's Manual, and as shown on the fuse diagrams.

The left SAM in the engine compartment deals with all left front lights and the side light - except low beam (which comes from the right SAM), further rear air outlet illumination and glove compartment lock illumination. It also interacts directly with rotary light switch, the HCS switch, the steering column adjustment motor group (the motors via left front fuse and relay module), ESP, SPS and BAS control, with AIRMATIC with ADS control unit or ABC control unit and via right front fuse and relay box with refrigerant compressor.

The left SAM gets signal input from the left front brake pad contact sensor, refrigerant pressure sensor, refrigerant temperature sensor, outside temperature display temperature sensor, brake fluid indicator switch and parking brake indicator switch.

The right SAM in the engine compartment deals with all right front lights and the side light - except low beam (which comes from the left SAM), and also the lights in glove box, center console storage and eyeglass compartment, ashtray and footwell. It also handles heating and pumping for the windshield washer nozzle and washer nozzle hose and pumping water for the Headlamp Cleaning System; and the additional fan (radiator fan) for coolant, the fan for transmission oil cooler, and the circulation pump for the heating system delivery unit.

The right SAM gets signal input from the right front brake pad contact sensor, coolant level indicator with windshield washer fluid level indicator (both are in series!) and Anti-Theft Alarm [EDW] hood switch. Incoming and outgoing signals for the switches and controls for lights, pumps, heaters and so on in most cases are delivered via CAN from and to other controllers.

The rear SAM below the right rear seat cushion interacts directly with the trailer recognition control unit and with the ESP, SPS, BAS-controller. It communicates e.g. with the overhead control panel control unit via CAN. It also deals with all rear lights, closing the trunk and fasten seat belts indications; additionally it reads the tank level sensor, a tilt sensor (Anti-Theft Alarm inclination sensor), all 4 door contacts and the rear brakes sensors.

The relay for the fuel pump is placed near the rear SAM but normally it will get its signal from the ME. Only AMG versions have an extra controller for the fuel pump.

In addition to the fuses and relays, as mentioned, the SAMs have connections to the CAN busses. Some of these connections are located under the front seats of the car. Getting those connections wet due to water intrusion can also cause problems in equipment routed through the SAMs. And, the SAM under the back seat seems particularly affected when significant amounts of water intrude into the car.

Your car has three CAN busses. CAN B is the interior (or body) data bus; CAN C is the engine/chassis data bus; and CAN D is the diagnostics data bus. One can read possibly more that you wanted to know about CAN at http://www.mercedestechstore.com/pdf...2010-28-02.pdf

One can see that a problem may occur at the operating control; at the component being operated; somewhere in the CAN bus; or in the SAM itself (including fuses and relays). The first thing to check are fuses and relays; then, the component; then the operating control - and if the problem affects many components or switches, suspect the SAM. You can get a good idea if you have a SAM problem if you see malfunctions in multiple systems all operated via the same SAM. However, be sure to note Eric's cautionary note in post #13 below. SAMs don't fail often, and when they do it is frequently because they have been soaked in water.

One other thing that can cause random, repetitive error messages and malfunctions is a failing battery.

As far as replacing it, see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...aced-bulb.html - and note that they are expensive. I would suggest having a proper diagnosis done with STAR to confirm that replacement is needed.

Warren

2005 S500 4-Matic
with Gateway 500 iPod integration

1978 450SL restoration project

Formerly: 2000 S500
with Ice>Link iPod integration
Moto V710 phone with MikBox
Upgraded Voice Control

Last edited by Skylaw; 11-24-2013 at 05:01 AM. Reason: Updated BulletheadD's SAM function information
#4 (permalink) Old 03-31-2012, 09:58 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: 2000 Mercedes Benz S500
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylaw View Post
A SAM (Signal Acquisition Module) functions much as a network router does on a computer or communications network. It monitors input from various switches, controls, monitoring devices, and warning systems. When you push a button on, for example, your dashboard, the signal goes through a SAM before the device you are controlling responds. If there is something wrong with the device you are trying to operate, you will likely then get a warning, delivered through the SAM to the CAN (Controller Area Network) bus. The CAN bus will send the error message to the "error screen" you mentioned (the Multifunction Display, beneath your speedometer), or elsewhere in the instrument cluster. You may also get messages indicating normal operation, such as "car rising" when you raise it by the Airmatic system.

There are SAM units at each large fuse panel: The two under the hood and the one under the right side of the rear seat. Fuses and relays connect to them. In addition, the devices called "electronic fuses" are located in them. See posts 6 and 12 at http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...ocation-2.html for more on electronic fuses.

In addition to the fuses and relays, as mentioned, the SAMs have connections to the CAN busses. Some of these connections are located under the front seats of the car. Getting those connections wet due to water intrusion can also cause problems in equipment routed through the SAMs. And, the SAM under the back seat seems particularly affected when significant amounts of water intrudes into the car.

Your car has three CAN busses. CAN B is the interior (or body) data bus; CAN C is the engine/chassis data bus; and CAN D is the diagnostics data bus.

One can see that a problem may occur at the control; at the component being operated; somewhere in the CAN bus; or in the SAM itself (including fuses and relays). The first thing to check are fuses and relays; then, the component; then the operating control - and if the problem affects many components or switches, suspect the SAM.

One other thing that can cause random, repetitive error messages and malfunctions is a failing battery.

As far as replacing it, see http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w220...aced-bulb.html - and note that they are expensive. I would suggest having a proper diagnosis done with STAR to confirm that replacement is needed.

hi skylaw I also just a got thru a nightmare scenerio with my dealership. Anyhow I have a list of what's wrong with my battery drain.
1= Left Sam recommend replacement.
2= Coolent leakage from water pump.

Out of curiosity am i able to purchase a new or used Sam and replace it and would it fit and work or not.

How easy is it for a water pump replacement and a ball park in terms of price.

As always thank you.

An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded.

Pope John Paul II
#5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 11:21 AM

Lifetime Premium Member
The last link embedded in post #3 indicates you can replace a SAM yourself. I suggest you be very certain that you get one made for your model and year of car. I do not have that part number, except to say it is very likely on the SAM you are going to replace. Also, while there are a number of SAMs available on ebay, if it doesn't work you may not be able to return it. Personally, I would buy that part new.

A number of replacement water pumps are available, from a number of sources. They run from approximately $85 to under $145 for the part at Mercedes S430 Water Pump - Free Shipping - Replacement, GMB, A1 Cardone, but be sure to shop around.

Again, I understand why you may not wish to purchase one from your particular dealership.

I don't know the time required to replace the pump and "burp" the system to eliminate air bubbles, so I can't help with cost for labor.

Warren

2005 S500 4-Matic

Upgraded Voice Control

Last edited by Skylaw; 04-01-2012 at 11:29 AM.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 12:42 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Skylaw your a breath of fresh air on here. I love you. Hahah. After installing the new Sam do I need to take it to MB for resetting the codes or anything or just replace and enjoy.

Regards.

Karam.

An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded.

Pope John Paul II
#7 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 05:22 PM

Lifetime Premium Member
Judging by what I have seen in other posts, I believe it is only a matter of remove and replace - if I'm wrong, please jump in here before I steer Karam wrong.

Warren

2005 S500 4-Matic

Upgraded Voice Control
#8 (permalink) Old 04-01-2012, 07:15 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Smile

Great glad to hear. A lot of guys selling them on eBay but I'll pick up a brand new one just to be safe. And I'll let you know what happens. By the way thanks for the link on the water pump as well.

Pope John Paul II
#9 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 07:47 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
slow battery drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrabusCClass View Post
Just wondering but I believe my SAM module is defective from reading other posts. My car gives random side light error message and on occassion windshield wiper low error and coolant error. There is nothing wrong with any of these things. Once an error shows I can't scroll out of it either. Im stuck at the error screen. Any ideas?
after a year of dealing with slow battery drain, and trying to fix it my self with a local mechnic, i broke down and went to the dealer, it was rear sam, replace it for 850 bucks. folks spend the money it was worth it, i've research on this site. but i think its alwasy the sams!
#10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2012, 12:44 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2009
slow battery drain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by corkshoppe View Post
after a year of dealing with slow battery drain, and trying to fix it my self with a local mechnic, i broke down and went to the dealer, it was rear sam, replace it for 850 bucks. folks spend the money it was worth it, i've research on this site. but i think its alwasy the sams!
i had the rear sam replaced, then came the front, total $1500, now the dealer says its still drawering down, and i have to replace head unit, taking out nav disk isnt enough, 3k at dealer they were kind enough to tell me to go on ebay or new afeter market.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W220 S-Class