PO410 Code, Secondary Air Injection System - Mercedes-Benz Forum

Go Back   Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class
New User? Register - Forgot Password

BenzWorld.org is the premier Mercedes-Benz Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2008, 12:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 1997 E420, 117,000 mls
Exclamation PO410 Code, Secondary Air Injection System

My E420 is running without any apparent problems but the Check Engine light came on and I have a PO410 Error Code which states secondary air injection system?

Your input is greatly appreciated. Cheers, Chato
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2008, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
This is, in all likelihood, a failure with your air pump. This is part of your pollution control system that, on a cold start, pumps extra air into your exhaust stream to reduce the extra pollution associated with the rich fuel mixture on a cold start. The pump will run for about 30-60 seconds on a cold start only. After that, it doesn't do anything.

I have been driving my C280 with a P0410 for three and a half years now. I have my own hand-held code scanner, so I can clear the codes any time I wish. This is a good idea because you want to make sure you don't have another code "hiding" behind the code you know about. I'm not replacing my air pump because the part will cost about $700 and I'm just not interested in spending that kind of money for a pollution control device that runs for 45 seconds on a cold start. However, if you have to get your car smog checked periodically it might be a problem for you. Depending on where you live, checking for codes could be part of the smog check, which means they could discover that you've cleared the codes just before bringing them the car for your smog test if the scanner's test sequence is showing "pending" on a number of the test subjects. They'll fail you for the "pending" reading and tell you to come back when the car has gone through its full diagnostic cycle.
jlomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 1997 E420, 117,000 mls
Thanks Jolomon, I agree 100% re the air pump and there's no smog testing where I live. I just bought an Innova OBD scanner that will allow me to read live data when I figure it out and I can see what shape the O2 sensors are in, although a fault there would produce a different code? Anyway, as the car runs just fine I wont panic ! The other possible problems associated with the PO410 code seem minor in comparison to the pump. Thanks for the info. All the best, Chato
Chato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 01:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
MFK
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: E200 Kompressor 2001
Just check the secondary system for any leaks - hoses, loose jubilee clips etc There is also a small breather valve at the back of the engine that if blocked I believe can bring on the engine light with a P0410 code

Let us know if you find anything definitive.

Cheers

MFK
MFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 05:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 1994 E320 Wagon,1999 E320 Wagon,2000 E 320 Wagon, MGB Track/Rally, ,1988 300E ,more....
Also

pull the engine cover and listen for thr pump to operate when you turn the key on in the morning.you can also jump power to the pump.brown wire is ground.
ohlord
ohlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:43 AM   #6 (permalink)
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: 1997 Mercedes Benz E420
You are lucky re the lack of smog check requirements...

Here in California that code would fail the smog check... Also, the air pump can be a minor issue compared to having to have the heads removed to clean the air passages to the exhaust ports... These passages can sometimes become blocked with carbon and the only way to clear them is sand blasting, which requires removal and complete disassembly of the heads. Expensive way to get new valve stem seals...

JR
E-Class Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
MFK
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: E200 Kompressor 2001
If the pump is gone will it put out a code immediately. I have this same problem but after clearing the code it could take two weeks for the engine light to come back on again

Thanks MFK
MFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Vehicle: '98 E430
I have the same code problem and have been trying to pinpoint the source. Chances are that it is a common failure and we all can benefit when someone locates the source. Mine was not the air pump. I connect 12v across the leads and it fired up without problem. I cleaned the contacts on the connectors and occasionally used a volt meter to test for output during the cold start cycle. I would get 12v sometimes and other times nothing. I isolated back to the control module and am thinking it might be a relay but dropped the issue since emissions testing isn't an issue in the Big Easy. Next move is to see how much one costs from the dealer or how much to test and rebuild the existing one. If someone has gone down this path, I sure would like to know.
NOLA430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2013 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI, 2011 Mazda 2, 2000 E320 4Matic Wagon (retired),1994 C280 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFK View Post
If the pump is gone will it put out a code immediately. I have this same problem but after clearing the code it could take two weeks for the engine light to come back on again

Thanks MFK
This is for two different reasons, both of which depend upon your driving habits.

1) Your OBD2 system looks at fault codes in two categories, basically "major" and "minor". When you clear any code, the next time you start your car the OBD2 system will scan the "major" systems immediately. However, for the "minor" systems, you have to go through an "OBD2 drive cycle", which basically means the car has to be driven to produce a number of different conditions required for your computer to see if the systems are measuring properly. Until you complete that drive cycle, you wont get a reading for the P0414.

2) Your check engine light will illuminate for a minor fault after it is detected on two consecutive cold starts. The first failure goes into the computer memory but does not trigger the CEL.

So the time it takes to get the CEL to turn back on depends on how long it takes you to complete the OBD2 drive cycle and then get that second consecutive cold start.
jlomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2007
Vehicle: 1997 E420 18" AMG Monoblocks
This site is amazing - Thank you everyone. I live in Florida and recently brought my car back home to NJ. It was there when I got the same PO410 "Secondary air injection system" warning. I'm assuming it was because the car started on an extremely cold day where it was used to warm weather. I had the code cleared but it recently came back on. If I was correct in my assumption, the light should have stayed off, but now it needs this new air pump?
RSPINAJR is offline   Reply With Quote

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class