BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: E-Class, SLK
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Transmission Dipstick for 2000 E320

I'm going to change the transmission fluid (81K miles) on my 2000 E320 and want to build a transmission dipstick. I wonder if anyone from this Forum knows how long for the transmission dipstick is. Please provide the distance from the tip of the stick to the inside-end of the cap, including both hot and cold marks.[:)]

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-20-2006, 04:48 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: W211/W210 Estate /W209/W208
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
RE: Transmission Dipstick for 2000 E320

Check the Tool Loan ..on Mercedesshop...
It maybe Better than Guessing the Distance
#3 (permalink) Old 03-21-2006, 07:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
Quoted: 21 Post(s)

Send me a note off list and I'll send you photos and measurements.

Len
len@sokoloff.com
#4 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 09:18 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

Thanks Len. I received your email w/ attachments but it does not show a full-length of the dipstick. I will do some experiments on my car to figure out the distance. Following is my plan and I need the opinions from this Forum:
1. Assuming the existing fluid level in my car's tranny is correct and I will use it for the measurement baseline.
2. Make sure engine is hot and the best way to do this experiment is after driving the car for at least 15 miles.
3. While engine is running, press the brake and shift the gear back and forth a few times.
4. Engage the hand brake, shift the gear to neutral (while engine's running), use a bycicle brake line (or something similar to the oil dipstick for the engine) to measure the hot mark of the ATF level.
5. Repeat this experiment three time on the different days to get an accurate reading.
6. Cold marks? Per my view, they are not needed since I only check my ATF level while the engine is hot. In case you want to measure the cold marks, make sure the engine is cold and perform step 3, 4, and 5.

That's all folks!
#5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 06:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: 1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320

The dipstick is four feet long. That's a little onger than needed, but since it is used for different transmissions, the longer length might be needed elsewhere. I don't think driving the car 15 miles is enough to call the ATF hot. I would at least double that or more. Also, I think the fluid gets checked with the shift lever in Park.

Len
#6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 03:13 PM
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)

I assume there are several marks at the end of the dipstick to indicate how deep we have to insert it into the AT filler for each AT model. Without having the indication marks at the end of stick (near the handle), we are toast. Well, with or without the original Mercedes AT dipstick, we have to run the experiment as I described earlier from this thread to figure out how deep we have insert the stick for each transmission model. Now I realize why Mercedes does not want us to mess around with the ATF check.

I thought the engine must be running and the gear is set to neutral to check the ATF.
#7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 08:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

You stick the dipstick in until it bottoms out.

Len
#8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 09:23 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: '01-E320 & 02-ST2
Quoted: 3 Post(s)

The measurement is also discussed in this excellent DIY over at mercedesshop: http://www.*****************/Wikka/Trans7226Fluid
He includes a great picture of the thing sticking out of the filler tube.

What we are casually referring to as a "dipstick" is not, rather it is simply a tool used to measure fluid levels. And as Sokoloff notes, the measurement markings on it are in fact based on it being bottomed out in the filler tube.

For those of you who've read this far, I posted up another idea about fluid level measurement in the other current thread on this topic, I'd be curious for your input. The link is: http://forums.benzworld.org/forums/f...sp?tid=1240790

Take care and enjoy the ride,
Greg
#9 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 01:53 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Sep 2008
Cool Dipstick Cheap

Went to hardware and bought 4 feet of 3/32 cable, 60 cents. Worked perfect but tranny is still a mess.
#10 (permalink) Old 02-25-2010, 04:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2010
Vehicle: 99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
Quote:
Originally Posted by altimatebenz View Post
Went to hardware and bought 4 feet of 3/32 cable, 60 cents. Worked perfect but tranny is still a mess.
I found that poly tubing could be an alternative, tested to boiling temperature of 100 degrees Celsius, would not scratch the car's paint. It's flexible to go around any curve.
Home Depot sells 25ft for $3 (Polyethylene, 1/4"x0.170"x25ft), I needed 5 feet.
When one tube end reaches the bottom, use a thumb to seal the open end. The tight air will hold the fluid in. Pull the tube with the other hand, measure the level against a ruler. Permanent marker does not work on poly tube. If you want to mark the metrics, use a small blade to engrave it according to a picture in loubapache's stickies:
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/atta...ode-image1.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/ogdm3n.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2h2obpy.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/j97z2b.jpg
Don't forget to drop the fluid in the tube back in the car or add half a teaspoon.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W210 E-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.