Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
SLK 200
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I stated in a couple of threads already, I got my car (SLK 200) this Wednesday (06-04-12), really happy with it so far btw [:D].

Now I want to protect my baby, especially since I live downtown Stockholm, Sweden and doesn’t have access to a garage. Actually it worries me sick to have to park it on the street, I’m just fortunate that I don’t live on main streets.

So my idea here is to first get a good Zaino treatment on it and then protect the most exposed places with Venture Shield. The main thing here is I want to get the UV protection from the Zaino treatment on first, before I put on the Venture Shield since the film doesn’t protect the car from UV (correct me if I’m wrong).

I’m thinking of maybe using the Juliens "Zaino Carnauba Sandwich" ( http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1232352&start=1&fid=27 ) but I’m a bit worried that the Carnauba wax will turn yellow or go bad in some way if it’s stuck underneath the Venture Shield film, any comments on this would be appreciated! Otherwise I might just stick to the Zaino stuff.

·
Registered
SLK 200
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On a side note here; I will do the Zaino treatment in a rent garage. Really nice service actually, car lifter (don’t know what its called in English [:I]), vacuum cleaner and air pressure pumps included.

The Venture Shield installation will of course be done by professionals.

(BTW is there a limit to how long a post can be becouse I'm having trouble posting everything in the same post)

·
Registered
515 Posts
If you have to park it on the street you definitetly need a car cover but not just any car cover. You need a cover that allows moisture to move from inside to outside so that when the car is wet when you put the cover on, the moisture isn't trapped. I don't know if Covercraft sells in Sweden, but it would be worthwhile to check out their website for background on the different types of cover material. I'm not at home and don't recall their website off hand but you can find it using the search engines.

·
Registered
2005 SLK55
664 Posts
High quality carnauba wax will not yellow over time. Can't wait for the pics!

·
Registered
SLK 200
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
reallife - 4/15/2006 9:11 PM

If you have to park it on the street you definitetly need a car cover but not just any car cover. You need a cover that allows moisture to move from inside to outside so that when the car is wet when you put the cover on, the moisture isn't trapped. I don't know if Covercraft sells in Sweden, but it would be worthwhile to check out their website for background on the different types of cover material. I'm not at home and don't recall their website off hand but you can find it using the search engines.
Hadn't thought about a cover yet so thanks for the advice but wont it take a lot of time to remove it and put it on every time a need to take a ride. I mean I will probably use the car at least 4 times a week.

·
Registered
SLK 200
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fredfromny - 4/15/2006 9:29 PM

High quality carnauba wax will not yellow over time. Can't wait for the pics!
As I said, I wasn't sure about that so thanks for letting me know.

Do you by any chance know if it can get rotten or anything like that since it's organic, or is it?

And I'll be sure to post some photos as soon as I've done the treatments.

·
Registered
SLK55/Skyline GTR
101 Posts
Roomie - 4/14/2006 2:14 PM

So my idea here is to first get a good Zaino treatment on it and then protect the most exposed places with Venture Shield. The main thing here is I want to get the UV protection from the Zaino treatment on first, before I put on the Venture Shield since the film doesn’t protect the car from UV (correct me if I’m wrong).
Actually, you want to do the reverse since protective films are supposed to be applied after stripping the wax.

First, you want to take it to reputable and experienced film installer. Best thing is to have them apply the headlight and foglight first. See how they work since applying headlight film on SLK is really hard work. If they do a good job, then have them prepare the surface (buff any scratches out and touch up paint) before applying the real film.

After film is applied and you are satisfied with results, apply wax or zaino as you see fit. Just be careful with wax that can build on the edges of film and you will be fine.

Your concern about wax going bad is not valid since there should NOT be any wax under the film.

·
Registered
SLK 200
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
chiyosuke - 4/15/2006 10:13 PM

Actually, you want to do the reverse since protective films are supposed to be applied after stripping the wax.
OK, are you sure? The reason I ask is because it was the reseller of Venture Shield here in Sweden that told me to apply the wax first. But then again the product is new in Sweden so I don't trust them that much. And I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff.

One question though, will the Zaino stuff work as well on Venture Shield as it will on the paintwork (Not sure about the terminology in English [:I])

·
Registered
515 Posts
Yes, Zaino your car first. Do a good Dawn wash, clay bar it and apply Zaino. Then get the Venture shield put on. Then Zaino it again. Wait about a week for the Venture Shield to mature before you get it wet. Zaino works great on top of the Venture Shield. I'm not sure it is worth it to apply the carnuba wax. I would stick with Zaino for all coats if I were you. In any case, send some photos when you are done. Then get out there and DRIVE!![:D]

·
Registered
2005 SLK55 AMG
788 Posts
Actually you don't see it mentioned much, but I wouldn't waste my time with Zaino (and no you don't want wax either) before clear bra.

Most (all?) installers use a spray of water and isopropyl alcohol to wet the car surface to apply and move around the film.

According to Sal Z, isopropyl strips Zaino.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts