Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2000 C280, 2006 E350, 1993 400E, 2007 SLK55 AMG, 1994 S500, 2008 E320 Bluetec
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ordered Zaino 9 and 10 last week. It arrived yesterday and played around with it in the 1994 S500 (parchment color interior).

The leather scent is very convincing, albeit overpowering at first, but once it settled in for an hour or so, the car smells like a new wallet... or a "Coach" store. I played around with the Zaino yesterday on my office chair just to make sure I was happy with it before I took it out to the car. I've heard people describe the leather scent as "Lexusy" and "not good enough for a Porsche" so I had doubts in my mind.

So here it goes:

The cleaner (Zaino 9) really cleans deeper than Lexol. I used a microfiber towel (although Zaino calls for a soft-bristle brush) on the full sections of the driver's seat outboard bolster and the door leather trim. The towel was filthy - even after I used Lexol only 2 weeks prior to now. I used a microfiber towel with the Lexol cleaner 2 weeks before. When applying the zaino cleaner, I could see hairline stress marks in the leather. I wasn't using any pressure when cleaning, and at first I thought the seats were re-dyed or maybe the cleaner was destroying the leather itself. But after about 2 minutes, the hairline cracks disappeared. I have no idea why, but I'm guessing the most abused portion of the seat was just prone to doing that, so I didn't scare me too much.

I then followed-up with the conditioner (Zaino 10). I used only a dime-sized drop on a microfiber towel and simply wiped down the clean leather portion. First off, the scent is strong, almost to the point that I felt dizzy (good thing I didn't have a beer in the other hand!). Secondly, the hairline cracks that I saw while cleaning showed up again, only to disappear again after about 2 minutes. There's no buffing required, so I simply closed the door and walked away. (Before walking away, make sure you don't do what this guy did: Help! Zaino Z10 Stained Leather).

I came back to the car after dinner and opened up the door to be greeted by the scent of a brand-new baseball mitt. Very nice! My neighbors also gave me a weird look because they saw me stroking the leather... honestly I didn't even bother to stop and explain what I was doing... because I am in heaven.

I was skeptical about this Zaino leather treatment because I've tried Zymol and Lexol and haven't been all to happy with anything. I almost felt like it was just a class-act "elixir" that promises to do everything and ends up disappointing. But I just thought I would take the time tonight to let my Benz World W140 crew know that I think I found love potion #9.

I'll get cracking on the entire interior, before/after photos etc by the weekend. Not sure yet if there's a shine from the conditioner - it was dark out after dinner, and my leather is tan. But someone with black leather should be able to vouch for that lot.

·
Registered
'14 E350, '07 CLK350, '01 SLK320
1,148 Posts
Zaino is great stuff. Z-9 works great on the dashboard too! On the outside of the car, wash it good, hit it with a clay bar, and then a couple of coats of Z-2. You will be amazed.

Edit: Two weeks ago I bought a can of the new (non-Mcguires) Mercedes-Benz Leather care foam. I have to say I think it does a bit better job at conditioning & cleaning than the Z-9. It doesn't smell like leather though. It has a nice orange smell. The new Mercedes-Benz interior glass cleaner is real good too.

·
Registered
89 BMW E34 ///M20 525i
148 Posts
If your eally want to make it a project, try Leatherique or Leather Masters. You'll have the specific prep products, but when applying the conditioner/rejuvinator, you'll want to keep it warm and coated and even have the seats wrapped in syran wrap. Also, it's easiest to keep the conditions for treatment right if the seats are removed from the car during the process. Can take a few weeks if you have unbearably dry seats, but boy is it amazing what a good softener and conditioning can do.

·
Premium Member
1996 S320 (Kuro) 1998 S600 (Weiss)
2,885 Posts
Zaino is great stuff. Z-9 works great on the dashboard too! On the outside of the car, wash it good, hit it with a clay bar, and then a couple of coats of Z-2. You will be amazed.

Edit: Two weeks ago I bought a can of the new (non-Mcguires) Mercedes-Benz Leather care foam. I have to say I think it does a bit better job at conditioning & cleaning than the Z-9. It doesn't smell like leather though. It has a nice orange smell. The new Mercedes-Benz interior glass cleaner is real good too.

How long does the "leather smell" of the Zaino last?

·
Registered
89 BMW E34 ///M20 525i
148 Posts
How long does the "leather smell" of the Zaino last?
If you give it a really good couple soaks in hot weather, it will remain noticeable for a few weeks. It's not my preferred product, but it's great stuff. Sal really knows his stuff, and even the products that aren't paint protection are top notch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts