Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

3421 - 3438 of 3438 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,729 Posts
I wanna know what his cats look like. Yes unimog is very capable off road and yes you can delicately maneuver but I'd never say nimble like a cat.

But its a good video from TFL, not a major cock-pet like too many small format mog videos but also not totally noob'd out either.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,068 Posts
I wanna know what his cats look like. Yes unimog is very capable off road and yes you can delicately maneuver but I'd never say nimble like a cat.

But its a good video from TFL, not a major cock-pet like too many small format mog videos but also not totally noob'd out either.
I'm going to say he's bang on. I've now had the pleasure of being offroad in a U500 and for the size, they are very capable. No it's not designed like the SBU and UHN Series but it flexes and climbs just fine.

Plus who said cats are that coordinated?

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,729 Posts
Well damn.

·
Registered
1976 406 w/ backhoe and dozer blade, a small collection of implements too
1,404 Posts
Oh my god. This is a tractor......

Leave me with my common sense (or lack thereof), mechanical intuition, gut feel and a frickin lever or three.

This is no place for computers and "programming".

I will admit, I'm impressed with the complexity and amazing flexibility with this system but all that is trumped by a bad bit of code or scratched wire.

Loving my Luddite 406.

That being said, thanks for uploading that, as I do find it fascinating (I am a recovering engineer after all). I just don't want something this complicated for myself.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,068 Posts
Oh my god. This is a tractor......

Leave me with my common sense (or lack thereof), mechanical intuition, gut feel and a frickin lever or three.

This is no place for computers and "programming".

I will admit, I'm impressed with the complexity and amazing flexibility with this system but all that is trumped by a bad bit of code or scratched wire.

Loving my Luddite 406.

That being said, thanks for uploading that, as I do find it fascinating (I am a recovering engineer after all). I just don't want something this complicated for myself.
I'll just leave this here...https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/xykkkd/why-american-farmers-are-hacking-their-tractors-with-ukrainian-firmware

Seriously, I agree. Those (new Unimogs) are really cool as long as you have:

1. A service contract
2. Warranty
3. Mercedes Unimog capable workshops with the proper know-how and service equipment, otherwise...not so much.

·
Registered
'91 427.110 '02 405.230
3,346 Posts

·
Registered
1976 406 w/ backhoe and dozer blade, a small collection of implements too
1,404 Posts
Found this old one all about 411's. Really cool stuff.

Seems they got a bit of every municipal activity. Many I've not seen before.

Lots of people riding on trucks, implements and trailers. I'm shocked no one got squashed. Those Germans are spry!

·
Registered
1976 406
496 Posts
Impressive portable mill running on electricity from a detached diesel generator. This setup makes the Woodmizer mills look like a toy. Watch all the way through for Unimog content as they use an SBU with a crane to load the mill and to haul the generator, fuel tank, and mill in and out of the woods.

·
Registered
1988 U1300
51 Posts
The care and time they take are a refreshing alternative to the factory harvesters that clear cut big scars on the landscape. I know....time is money. Beautiful rough boards.

3421 - 3438 of 3438 Posts