Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
w126 420 sel
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
since the 420 has a re-built tranny now, some suggest this is a good time to had the first gear start module. any thoughts or positive experiences with this modification? any comments are greatly appreciated in order to help me decide whether or not i should purchase. thanks!

·
Registered
1990 420 SEL
84 Posts
If you want to win the Traafic Light race, you have picked the wrong car. The W126 is built for crusing in mind.

I want everything original. I rebuilt my Auto Tranmission a few years ag when it has done 420,000 KMs

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I was wondering why you didn't just have it built into your trans (a la valve body mod as per the Euro cars..) The Berg Werks units is a great one, those that have installed it love it. Completely changes the character of your car. Makes it even easier to move w/ or ahead of traffic.

IMHO, you can apply tasteful cosmetic and performance upgrades to a 126 and still retain if not increase it's value.

Original is nice, but this isn't a Dusenberg ya know?

Jonathan

·
Premium Member
1990 SEC
4,247 Posts
I have the BergWerks 1st gear start module with a Euro E/S switch installed in my 560 SEC. It works great and looks good (the E/S switch is original MB..).

This isn't really a modification as 1st gear start and an Economy/Sport switch was standard on the Euro models.

Granted, the Euro transmissions had 1st gear start activated with a different valve body in the transmission and not a with an electronic gizmo "black-box". But the box is hidden under the center console and it functions quite well.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
In my opinion, the Bergwerks 1st gear start, should be the 1st thing a 126 owner should purchase for their car. There isn't a bigger performance bang for your buck. As with all Bergwerks items, the quality and instructions are 1st rate.

The 1st gear start will really change the 126's quickness off the line and in traffic.

·
Registered
2004 ML270
538 Posts
The Euro tran's do not have factory first gear start valve body's. I have a Euro 560 and they all start in second all the time unless you use the B switch.

Definitely get the Bergwerks unit, it's a doddle to wire in and works very well. As my car is a Euro it had the E/S switch so I wired it into that.

Matt.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 500SEC
221 Posts
My car is a 500SEC (euro) and it starts from the first gear, and i dont have the switch to change froom E/S! is it supposed to be like that?

·
Registered
2004 ML270
538 Posts
Hmmm, quickly retracts statement :)

What year is your 500?

This has been debated a number of times and the answer has always been that the only first gear start model was the early 380 I believe.

Matt.

·
Registered
380SEC EURO
1,430 Posts
joelsec - 2/20/2005 6:54 PM

My car is a 500SEC (euro) and it starts from the first gear, and i dont have the switch to change froom E/S! is it supposed to be like that?
Joel, wasn't your car originally a 380SEC? That could explain the first gear start.

This is from the official MB 380/500SEC Euro brochure:

Attachments

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 500SEC
221 Posts
Cnd- heyy yeah, you might be right. however, my car had a bad accident in the past you see, so tts like how they managed to change the parts to the 420/560 look, and the engine to the 500! the front was dented really badly. Ummm. So this is an advatage right! but you know, when i am lets say about 80km/h and i hit the kick down, at first you can feel it drop a gear down, but if u leave you leg pressed against the kick down longer, you can feel an even more tremendous surge of power!

Oh another point! can you explain to me each and every part of the Gear box, as in like
first there is PARK, then REVERSE, the Neutral, then DRIVE, then THREE, then TWO followed by a B at the right. Oh btw, i just wanted to sayy how much i love my SEC, people just keep complimenting it.

Not to long ago, i had this old friend, who has a SLK500. And he just loves an SEC. He tested my car, and at a traffic light, next to us was a SAAB 9-5 aero. And the saab kept revving his engine at us. So he smiled at me, and i said if you want. He MADE THE WHEELS SPIN causing soo much smoke, and getting the car to accelerate faster than i have ever got it. Like he made the RPM meter more all the way to about 50, before releasing the brakes, and the torque made the car spin! it was soo cool, the saab was wayy behind. He even said that the SEC is one of the best S Class sports. He thinks its even better then the CL, cause there is more feel, unlike the CL with electronic chips/computers and all. THE w126 cars ROCK!

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I know a fellow in Lebanon and his 560SEC is FGS, the 500 Euro SEL I'm parting out is FGS as well..

Jonathan

·
Registered
87 420SEL, 89 560SL, 92 300TE
62 Posts
Hello, everyone!

I've been thinking about this First Gear Start for some time now. I'd like to set up the "winter mode" on the unit, but I don't want to cut up my console wood for another switch. I don't suppose anyone has a Euro E/S switch and shifter gate they would like to sell?

Thanks in advance,

-Robert

·
Registered
Depends on the day!
13,337 Posts
I could get you a new one...

Let me know:)

Jonathan

·
Registered
87 420SEL, 89 560SL, 92 300TE
62 Posts
Hello, Jonathan!

I kind of thought you’d be able to help! I think I’ll take one of these switches… every time I take off from a stop, I want the FGS more; but the rainy weather around here lately has convinced me that the "winter mode" would be a good idea. What do these parts run? If its under $200, just email me for a snail-mail address and I'll PayPal you the $$ immediately!

BTW, I want this stuff for my '87 420SEL - but a quote on the part(s) for an '89 560SL would be great, also!

Thanks!

-Robert

1 - 14 of 14 Posts