Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Your opinion please !

3223 Views 27 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  W140Gill
I am doing a survey to see which mercedes do most perfer:

What is the best looking color combo on w140: black/tan or black/black?

what are the best looking rims on: AMG, Barbus,lorinser .etc..? any suggestion on name and model of rims would be appreciated? (any links or pics is also appreciated).

THANK YOU

[;)][;)]
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
I am doing a survey to see which mercedes do most perfer:
What is the best looking color combo on w140: black/tan or black/black?
what are the best looking rims on: AMG, Barbus,lorinser .etc..? any suggestion on name and model of rims would be appreciated? (any links or pics is also appreciated).
THANK YOU
[;)][;)]
On W140s, either black/black, silver/black, gray/black or royal blue/black. With no bigger than 18'' AMG Monoblocks rims.

I have just bought monoblocks. Pics coming soon.

· Registered
'08 Acura MDX
3,024 Posts
Re: Re: Your opinion please !

On W140s, either black/black, silver/black, gray/black or royal blue/black. With no bigger than 18'' AMG Monoblocks rims.
Agreed! Black/Black w/ AMG 18" Monoblock - VERY classy! Below, a picture of my next car!

· Registered
1997 S600 - Bentley Turbo R (black/black)
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So far virtually all are agreeing black interior is the best. I asked 3 different wome...

So far virtually all are agreeing black interior is the best. I asked 3 different women and suprisingly they prefer tan interior. But maybe tan doesnt look as good as black/black on a mercedes. Any women opinion out there?

Also the 18" monoblock are recommended. Why not 20", is bigger better, or is it a classyness issue? And if one decideds on rims...chrome or not?

ghost

· Registered
W140 S class, E31 850Ci, XC90 Exec AWD geartronic
444 Posts
EXTERIOR Black is a timeless colour. It looks just as good on a new car as it does on a...

EXTERIOR

Black is a timeless colour. It looks just as good on a new car as it does on an older one. Silver paint on the other hand is high fashion (my opinion)its appearing everywhere. It looks good now, but 10 years from now it will look positively dated - just like the beige's, gold's, and all the other dodgy metallic's from the 80's.

INTERIOR

My S class is Blue/Black metallic and has a silver leather and carpets. It's very difficult to keep the interior looking immaculate. I also have a 12 year old 5 series BMW with black leather. Marks do not show up on the black and its still looking great.

Tan looks good when new, but will show up grime. Scratches show up easily in tan leather. Tan leather = tan carpet sets and tan lower door trim and interior panels. How many times have we all knocked our interiors whilst wearing black shoes? DOH

ALLOYS

I'm touching shakey ground with my next statement. I'd like to say that this is solely my opinion and I dont wish to offend anyone who has an opinion otherwise.

Cars are like clothes.

You wear your car and it represents you. An S class Mercedes is a like an Armani suit. Chrome alloys are like Nike sneakers. If you are the kind of guy that has this kinda dress sense then by all means go ahead and buy chrome alloys.

Mercedes look good when original. At most, people will only go as far as adding classy alloys or a mild tint to the glass. Steer clear of body kits (would you wear a sweat band and leg warmers with your Armani?)

AMG are a Mercedes tuning division and supply only to mercedes. They are designed specifically for your car and look like they belong on your car and not like some cheapy aftermarket add on. This is the reason that Merc Owners will always go for AMG alloys.

my 2 cents

· Registered
89 300TE
288 Posts
Black, tan interior because of the darl and light contrast. Lowered and 18inch monoblock...

Black, tan interior because of the darl and light contrast. Lowered and 18inch monoblock AMG wheels are hot. Limo style window tinting. The guy a few doors down has a S420 exactly like this.

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Re: EXTERIOR Black as a timeless colour. It looks just as good on a new car as it does on a...

EXTERIOR
Silver paint on the other hand is high fashion (my opinion)its appearing everywhere.
ALLOYS
Chrome alloys are like Nike sneakers.
Right, chromies dont look good on Mercedes. I see so many jokers here in Chicago who do this:
An CL style grill in front of a W140 Sedan with the original mercedes hood ornament intact. Plus 20" ghetto style chrome rims with limo dark tints.

I think, class is always about sophistication. Nice AMGs i think no bigger than 18, as bigger wheels dont really suite this body style. Light tints and maybe clear corners look nice.

Just my opinion
[}:)]

· Registered
W140 S class, E31 850Ci, XC90 Exec AWD geartronic
444 Posts
your interior colour

what colour is your interior ///S320? You have the same colour combination as my car on the outside. I have seen this colour combo with a tan interior as well.

BTW what does the V mean in S320V? I've not seen that anywhere before

Thanks for helping me source a Vacuum pump. Its all working as it should now

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Re: your interior colour

what colour is your interior ///S320? You have the same colour combination as my car on the outside. I have seen this colour combo with a tan interior as well.

BTW what does the V mean in S320V? I've not seen that anywhere before

Thanks for helping me source a Vacuum pump. Its all working as it should now
No Problem at all!
My interior is black. I think the hardest color to maintain is black exterior paint. I just polished my car and waiting for a 70 degree day to install new rims.

V means long wheel base. Some people write LWB some write V. Its just 3 inches longer than the short wheel base. Trust me, no one ever sits in the back seat to enjoy the longer version.

(Unless i take some ladies out and things work out and i use the back seat.. you know what!)

[:eek:)]

· Registered
2001 S500
44 Posts
For what its worth:

Personally, I prefer white with tan interior or black on black. I ...

For what its worth:

Personally, I prefer white with tan interior or black on black. I think the white with tan is very classy. While white cars almost always look clean and are easy to maintain, you don't get that "wow" effect after you just spent an hour waxing the monster. On the other hand, when you have a black car that just got waxed, it’s breath taking. Also, nothing looks better at night than a black car.

Rimz are another story. I think the 18-inch AMG Monoblocks are essential. They look better than the stock rims, provide added performance, and are still stock since they were optional on the Grand Edition. As to chrome.... Sometimes I think it looks great other times I think its excess. Now if AMG were to make the Monoblocks in a high gloss machine finish (similar to what the outer lip of the wheel looks like) I think we would have the ultimate compromise.

· Registered
300 SE, 560 SL
28 Posts
S Class in black with black interior looks best.

The S Class, regardless of color, is a...

S Class in black with black interior looks best.

The S Class, regardless of color, is a very impressive looking car. Why make it into a pimpmobile with odd wheels?

· Registered
1997 S600 - Bentley Turbo R (black/black)
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
w140grill...your comments are very logical from a classy perspective.

I also agree th...

w140grill...your comments are very logical from a classy perspective.

I also agree that everyone has his own taste, and if they prefer 20" chromes thats great for them.

ghost

· Registered
19 Posts
Blk/Blk would be my choice.

However, I got the grey interior instead and just have to buy new floormats about once per year to keep it looking new.

Chrome wheels don't wear as well as the painted/coated wheels. Most AMG wheels I've seen here in CA are pitted and flaking due in part to the inferior chrome plating processes under California environmental laws. Factory MB chrome is generally of better quality. My choice is always standard silver painted AMGs.

Attachments

· Registered
S320W
602 Posts
Re: Blk/Blk would be my choice.

However, I got the grey interior instead and just have to buy new floormats about once per year to keep it looking new.

Chrome wheels don't wear as well as the painted/coated wheels. Most AMG wheels I've seen here in CA are pitted and flaking due in part to the inferior chrome plating processes under California environmental laws. Factory MB chrome is generally of better quality. My choice is always standard silver painted AMGs.
Chris,
I must say that both of your benzes are sweet looking. I like the AMGs on your 140, and white color of your SL.

[}:)]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.