Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2008 ml 550
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello
i am considering purchase of ml 500 '02. after reading some of posts on this forum i got a little scared. since you guys have a lot of knowledge about this car, i decided to ask for your opinion. could you please tell me what to do? your help is greatly appreciated. thank you, paul

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
Paul: What is the asking price, and how many miles does it have? Being a 2002 it should have some factory warranty left on it. Is it a starmark vehicle from a dealer? First thing to do is give the vin # to a dealer and check the service and repair record. Then be sure to buy an extended warranty. Look through the spokes of the wheels and check the thickness on the brake pads. New pads have about 3/8" or more material on them! I like the V-8's. I'm on my second one. Bought a used 2000 430 in 03 and it was a good truck with no problems. Traded it for a 2005 500SE in december last year. Love that truck so far. These trucks are expensive to maintain properly and operate. If you can pay cash, maintain them, and afford the gas, they're a great ride! My 4' 11" wife loves ours as she likes being up higher and can see the road better. With the price of gas now a 500 should be a buyer's market. There should be plenty of them around so take your time and get the right deal! Good luck! [8D]

·
Registered
2001 S430 * 2002 ML500 Sport * 2008 C200 BE
22 Posts
Have a 2002 ML500. So far no problems at all with about 40.000 miles on the clock including a year of north east snow, a year of west coast desert and the rest in the lovely rain in the UK. Love the truck, but do agree that with current gas prices, you should be able to get a good deal.

·
Registered
ML500
21 Posts
I've had my '02 for nearly 2 years now, and put 27k miles on it. It's been great vehicle for us, cruising from the Northeast down to Florida, up to New England skiing, etc. I bought it as a Starmark CPO, and haven't spent a penny on it - teh dealer and warranty covered everything including oil changes.

It's been back to the dealer too many times for my taste, though mostly for niggling things like the center console ashtray getting stuck (twice), power window switches deciding not to work, rubber window moldings peeling, etc. These have all been documented throughout this forum.

Only 1 mechanical issue - the well-known power steering hose failure. Why Mercedes hasn't issued a recall for this is beyond belief.

Other than that, I've loved this vehicle. THe power can be intoxicating, thoug the mpg suffers according to how hard you press the accelerator!

I'm about to trade this in on a more fuel efficient vehicle since I'm changing jobs and need to drive 60 miles round trip every day. Let me know if you're interested before I sign it away!

·
Coupe/Convertible Forums Moderator
CURRENT: 2011 SL550, 2011 C300 FORMER: ML350, CLK550 Cabriolet, C240, ML320, 300TD
19,255 Posts
Only 1 mechanical issue - the well-known power steering hose failure. Why Mercedes hasn't issued a recall for this is beyond belief.
Actually, they have issued a recall on this. In fact, I thought they had issued two! The real problem is that the recall won’t fix the underlying problem, which is a lack of flaring on the pipe. No matter how tight of a clamp is used on the hose, it could still slide off.

- RODNEY

·
Registered
2002 ML 500 Sport
22 Posts
at 59.000 miles on my ML 500 sport, only problem so far is a liftgate molding that keeps holding water! then leaking it out when you raise the tailgate

·
Registered
SL500, ML320, E320
538 Posts
Peak:
We're just sneaking up on the 50k mile mark with our `02 ML320 here in Scottsdale, AZ. My wife totaled an E class 2 years ago and wanted something "beefier" so we bought the M which she uses in her real estate business. Apart from the frequently noted rattle from the rear tailgate (which quieted down after a couple of dealer adjustments) and a couple other minor issues, we've had no problems.
She's now decided that she wants to get another E so the M will go into the paper next week- hoping for about $25k with Nav, full power, chromed wheels and the normal additions.
We drove a V-8 loaner recently and were impressed by the extra power - -and how quickly the fuel guage went down - - at todays prices, I'm satisfied with the 6 cylinder.
Let the board know what you decide !

·
Registered
2014 ML350 BlueTec
2,626 Posts
An 02, V8 power, some warranty left..sounds good...Though, l would consider an extended warranty, if you plan on keeping the vehicle for a while..

·
Registered
190e 2.3l-16v
230 Posts
I would stay away from ML"s unless one of 2 things:

You have extended warranty OR you have hook ups at mechanic that can service your vehicle and save you gobs of cash if something were to go wrong outside warranty.

If you want something really reliable buy a Toyota.

Even though this is recommended and I belive true advice. I still love our German vehicles. Oh i mean my Alabama USA assembled German ML.

·
Registered
'82 380SL+'02 ML320
188 Posts
Every vehicle has its shortcomings and the ML's is the crap gas mileage, electrical gremlins, and shoddy trim (I think the 500 eats brakes too, if I remember correctly). That's why the extended warranty is MANDATORY. And how close is your dealer to do the service? I would be hesitant to have an indy do any "core" work on that vehicle. Regardless of how competent an he/she might be, there is way too much downside with no recourse for bad work.

The upside for you? I have a 50k '02 that isn't worth half what I paid for it. That should be tempting for people who want a true SUV and can afford the gas. And I have seen the 164.....the 163 is timeless...164 is just another big station wagon designed by focus groups.

·
Registered
Ml 500SE
269 Posts
I bought both my ML's (00 430 & 05 500)with safety as the # 1 issue. I don't want to be driving a pea in a sea of watermelons. I felt the ML was the safest vehicle for my little family of wife Kathy and bulldog Sadie Mae. I'll pay what it takes to keep them safe on the highway! Just my opinion!! [8D]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts