Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
w168 160 petrol
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to the forums, I have been a long time lurker and absorber of all the nice information here so I finally made a profile. After following the car boards here this car caught my eye. It is in Dutch, however, the pictures speak for themselves.

Mercedes-Benz W126 280 SEL - *FULL OPTIONS* - 1983 - Benzine - www.vankriekenimportexport.nl / autodealers.nl

I have been on the market for a w126, particularly something with a m110 engine, I have also considered a 500SEC, although these go for a lot more and have seen more abuse imo. First question: are 185hp enough for such a big car or should I look into something with a V8?

What I like about this car is that unlike most SE/SELs for sale it has maintenance history and a very clean interior (so far almost all SECs have the booklets, SE/SELs are LPG converts with no maintenance history) The plethora of options are also nice, esp the lumbar support seats. It is also has 'level correction??" is that self-leveling suspension, this is not the same as hydropneumatic, right?

There appears to be some rust/scrapes at the bottom of the wheel well as shown on one of the photos, however, it does look pretty clean. The engine bay seems to have been quite dirty and they just hastily wiped it clean, possible oil leak or does it get dirty? Also I think it is missing the battery.

So my question is should I make the 2h+ drive and go for an inspection/test drive or it is too good to be true? The price is what you usually find for these cars with a mileage of ~200,000kms, although with less options (typical price range EU4000-7500). I have been casually looking around so I do not have lots of disposable cash, however, if it is a good car I might be able to pay a deposit etc. Up to now I have not come across a vehicle in that condition. I am aware i am buying a 'project' so anything that would need further attention is OK, for one I am almost certain all fluids/filters will need changing for a start.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1987 560SEL Astral Silver/Silver blue leather,Michelins,SONY
820 Posts
It certainly LOOKS like a reasonably nice car. Interesting interior design,especially the seat upholstery. It looks to me like a vehicle to examine more closely-mechanicals and body.
But I am not an expert.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
It does look nice, but it does look like there may have been an oil leak in the engine bay. It could just be dirt buildup from over the years though. It takes a lot of work to keep an engine bay clean.

The US spec 500 was only rated at 185 hp, though I believe they fudged the numbers to make it seem like less of a polluter, and it feels like plenty... obviously it has much more torque than the 280 would... but the euro 280 is a high revving engine that I hear has pretty good pickup.

Keep in mind that at its age and mileage it is overdue for timing chain/guides, so if that hasn't been done in the past few years that will be a good chunk of money out of your pocket.

All in all though, the interior and exterior look very clean for its age. Especially the burl wood, it looks flawless. Unless you despise driving I would think it to be worth the drive to look at it. And it is always a good idea to get a used car inspected by a mechanic of course.

·
Registered
'91 560SEC, '98 SL500
1,977 Posts
Nice car. I love the interior - superb. 185hp will be fine in this car, we used to own a 280SE and it was plenty quick. In todays world where tiny hatchbacks come with 150+hp, 185hp does not seem like alot. This car will not be a stop light brawler, but certainly a comfortable cruiser with nice long legs.

·
Always Remembered RIP
1991 560SEC AMG
10,146 Posts
'86 260SE on sale in DORNBIN AUSTRIA

Just across the border into Dornbin, Austria on the main street on a consignment lot was a BIG surprise when I drove in, last month;

A 1986 generation II 260SE --that's right-- the smallest gasser ("Benzin")engine ever made for the w126; in 040 black, 190kms on the clock, with black leather, limo tint, 18" BBS wheels, and a full size Mercedes Benz hood star dangling from the inside of the rear view mirror by a small chain to remind the driver of the car his was driving;

And a price tag of 10,000 euros on it!

This one attracted LOTS of lookers while I was there. I thought I had hallucinated when i drove by it in the first town coming into Austria;

But I hadn't, as the pic's prove, when I went back to see for myself.

It looks like a nice car,nd well taken care of.

It may still be for sale there. You can call the phone number in the picture if you are interested..

·
Registered
1983 380SEL
352 Posts

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,142 Posts
It looks very clean and fresh. Not sure what they mean by full options though, it doesnt seem to have that many.

·
Registered
w168 160 petrol
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all the comments. I will give the seller a call to see if it is still for sale and if so when can i test ride it.

@TalkieTime

That was a really nice review! Guess my concerns over the m110 on the 1.5ton chassis are irrelevant. They tested an overdrive 5 speed manual, not the 4 speed automatic, however, it does not change the overall impression of the car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
thanks for all the comments. I will give the seller a call to see if it is still for sale and if so when can i test ride it.

@TalkieTime

That was a really nice review! Guess my concerns over the m110 on the 1.5ton chassis are irrelevant. They tested an overdrive 5 speed manual, not the 4 speed automatic, however, it does not change the overall impression of the car.
Carcinogent, you have a private message!

I have a W126 280se, automatic, and wouldn't call it sluggish..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts