Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
1981 380SL 151K: 2005 S500 116K
39,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As all, or perhaps many, well maybe some, possibly a couple of you are aware, whenever a thread is placed in the EGv107, this tag...

Added 11/11/2010

...is placed next to the link to alert everyone that there has been an addition.

The question is, how long should the "alert" tag exist?

If it stays up forever, it loses its value as a notification to those of us who are here on a regular basis. My feeling is that those who stop by once a year (for example) can peruse the EGv107 for new threads on their own without the assist if it inconveniences those who spend a great deal more time here.

My thoughts on the matter, after some careful consideration, is that the tag should stay up through the month in which it is placed PLUS 30 days. This gives the tag a shelf life of 30 days minimum to 60 days maximum.

For example, a thread placed today
Added 11/11/2010
would have the tag through the remainder of November and all of December. The tag would be removed at (or around) January 1, 2011.

Barring a better suggestion or overwhelming disapproval, this is my current favorite choice.

Alternatively, a policy of say, a straight 30 days or 90 days or whatever could be applied if that's more desirable. In this example, the thread tag mentioned above would expire on December 11, 2010 after 30 days. The drawback to this would be that the moderator(s) would need to check tags all month long as opposed to just once at the start of the month. Very unwieldy and Homey don't play dat.

Other suggestions or term limits (1 week?, 6 months?) are requested.

Yes, it's another decision by committee but it's your forum and we want to make it work for you but workable for us as well. I considered creating a poll but people tend to vote before reading the thread so maybe I'll add a poll later on so that an informed choice could be made. We'll leave this thread stuck for a little while to give everyone who desires to a chance to weigh in. As difficult as it might be, just this once, can we stay relatively on topic?

Discuss.

·
Premium Member
1973 450SL 2004 E320 4Matic Wagon 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee
3,197 Posts
Whatever floats your boat. You guys have done a good job and I suspect it t'ain't easy. So whatever works for you.

·
Premium Member
89 R107, 05 CDI
2,536 Posts
I agree with Smack, and your idea of a current month plus a month seems perfect.:thumbsup:

Thank you both for all your hard work: you're very effective and in no way ever heavy handed... it's very much appreciated..!

·
Registered
1978 450SL (RIP); 2007 Impala 9C3 (Police); 2010 Ford Edge
212 Posts
I second the Smack! You guys are good enough to manage things, it should be what is easiest for you. Thanks!

·
Always Remembered RIP
1979 280sl 4 sp w/ac 1957 MGA 1998 volvo xc/70 2004 F150
6,050 Posts
Could you a combination of time and hits? Just a thought, you guys are doing a great job.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,345 Posts
My thoughts on the matter, after some careful consideration, is that the tag should stay up through the month in which it is placed PLUS 30 days. This gives the tag a shelf life of 30 days minimum to 60 days maximum.

If the number of days, 30, 60 or what ever can be set up auotomagically to remove I say go with that.

Otherwise the above suggestion is the best.

·
Registered
82 380SL 96 SL500 03 SL500
6,164 Posts
I'm with Smack on this one.

You guys waste enough of your time on this thankless job without adding additional work, so be sure this isn't going to be too much of a PIA for you.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,509 Posts
Only my threads should be identified for ALL TIME.

I worked with a shipper whose favorite saying was "If everything is a rush, then nothing is a rush"

So ya, they need a time ex date or they lose their meaning.

Your suggestion seems good.

But I'm not reminding you of how great you guys are.....the others have kissed more than enough ass to cover it.

·
It Is What It Is, Dude
22,841 Posts

Seventy some views and only nine responders.

Yes, it's another decision by committee but it's your forum and we want to make it work for you but workable for us as well. I considered creating a poll but people tend to vote before reading the thread so maybe I'll add a poll later on so that an informed choice could be made. We'll leave this thread stuck for a little while to give everyone who desires to a chance to weigh in. As difficult as it might be, just this once, can we stay relatively on topic?

·
29,509 Posts

Seventy some views and only nine responders.
Sounds like voting day in Canada.

Everyone has an opinion AND a vote.

But most exercise only their opinion.

·
29,509 Posts

·
Premium Member
1975 450SL
2,440 Posts
What you're suggesting makes sense. If a commonsense, consistent policy is put in place, that will encourage us to visit the E.G. periodically.

Whatever is easy and 'logical' for the mods.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts