Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Self explanatory.We're single malt scotch drinkers in our home and throw scotch-tasting parties each Summer at our home. Just curious about members who are single malt drinkers what your fave is and why. Up your Kilt :thumbsup::baby bottle:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I like Single Malts Scotchs Mmmmm Hmmmmm only problem is here in Utah ha hah if you want to get a good Single Malt Scotch you have to go out of state...... the mormons fear that stuff...

And No I don't wear a kilt.:cool:

·
Surely A Large Human
35,725 Posts
Believe it or not, this has been visited before. Someone will probably post the link to it.

But, it's good to ask it again since some new faces are around.

I'm a Lagavulin guy, pretty much. If that's not available, I stick with grand dad.

·
Forum Administrator , RC Colas® & Moon Pies®
39,177 Posts
What is it with scotch?

How about a nice little single malt IRISH whiskey.

Interestingly, the village of Bushmills is twinned with Louisville, KY.

·
Surely A Large Human
35,725 Posts
^ It's all about the water. Seriously. Scotland doesn't appear, in terms of geographic features or natural resource, be good for anything else.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is it with scotch?

How about a nice little single malt IRISH whiskey.

Interestingly, the village of Bushmills is twinned with Louisville, KY.
Nothing "wrong" with Irish whisky,but there's a huge flavour-range of scotch that does not exist among the Irish whisky.Besides,with only 2 distilleries, they neither have the capability nor resources to offer what Scotland can.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I stock Glenfiddich 15yr, and Macallan 10yr. I have been meaning to get some Lagavulin for company as I really liked it after trying some. My favorite so far has been a bottle of Balvenie my brother shared with me which was excellent. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here's a few of my fave distilleries; :bowdown:
Laphroaig, Talisker, Caol Ila, Bowmore, MacCallan, Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Springbank, Edradour.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Oban for just having around the house. When I really want to celebrate though I take a snort of the 30 yr old MacAllan.

·
CH4S Admin , Outstanding Contributor
39,244 Posts
I have collected single malts for about 15 years, at last count 80+. My favorites (at present) are Lagavulin 16, Highland Park 12, Longmorn 15, Springbank 12, and Glenfarclas '105' cask strenght.

A bit different but very good, Green Spot Irish Whiskey (pot still), hard to find in the US.
Tastes better from the right glass.
Cheers

Attachments

·
BenzWorld Elitist
11,490 Posts
I researched this topic on this forum awhile back and there are, indeed, some thorough, informative threads on this topic. This isn't one of them ;)

·
Banned
17,697 Posts
I researched this topic on this forum awhile back and there are, indeed, some thorough, informative threads on this topic. This isn't one of them ;)

But the BWOT has something those other forums don't have, Jay's informative, intuitive and ahead of the curve financial threads...........

·
BenzWorld Elitist
11,490 Posts
But the BWOT has something those other forums don't have, Jay's informative, intuitive and ahead of the curve financial threads...........
Dude, pay attention. The threads are on this forum, they're just not this thread :rolleyes:

·
BenzWorld Elitist
11,490 Posts
I actually did a Cliffs Notes version

So now this thread can have some wisdom too:

Naomilla on Scotch:
Islays:
very peaty, in-your-face-iodine, and briny depending on distillery.
Lagavulin 16 - darling of tasters, perhaps the most popular amongst scotch snobs.
Ardbeg 17 - my personal favorite.
Laphroaig (perhaps the most medicinal of all readily available Scotch, in particular their 30-yr old).
Bruichladdich (Francis Urquhart's choice) - lighter, but saltier.
Bowmore - similar to bruichladdich, but less peatiness.

Lowlands: (I'm not particularly familiar with this region because of lack of stores carrying them)
Auchentoshan - wheaty, citrusy, good spring to summer scotch.

Highlands (biggest choice pool - following are my faves):
Macallan 18
Glenmorangie (all kinds)
Highland Park (almost like smoked honey)
Cragganmore (complex, subtle - one of my favorites)
Balvenie (12yr Doublewood) - leave a glass with a little left in it next to your bed - it's almost like perfume
Talisker (spicy! - how'd they do that?) 10 or 18, whichever is lovely.

I'm missing quite a few, please feel free to add to the above.

Ardbeg 17
Talisker 18
Laphroaig 30
Balvenie Doublewood (12yrs)
Lagavulin 12, not 18
Cragganmore
Highland Park 25

Teutone:
Here are some of my favorites:
Single Malts, Islay = Lagavulin 16 Yr, Ardbeg 10 Yr, Speyside = Glenfarclas 105, Springbank 15 Yr, Cragganmore 12 Yr (the founder used to manage Macallan), Macallan 18 Yr. trader joe's carries a private label bottling,
Orkneys = Highland Park 12 yr., all preferably in a thistle glass with a bit of lightly chilled water and no ice.
The 12 Yr old Glen Ord from the West Highlands is IMO a nice every day single malt that reminds me a bit of Lagavulin. Trader Joe's usually has promo gift boxes with glasses etc. before the holidays. Two years ago they were selling a box with one 750 ml, and a 250 ml bottle in it for about ten bucks. I couldn't resist, and bought thirty or so, and it also made a nice little present for friends.

My acquaintance with single malt scotch began in my late teens. One of my teachers was living with an English Colonel, one of those laid back ex colonial officers who lived in many house complete with servants, then again in a tents, in the mud, or with the water running through the bottom (here is to you, Larry). He told me some great stories, and in the process introduced me to Glenfiddich, Glenlivet, and Glenmorangie. A few years after I served in the German Luftwaffe, first in Budel, in the South of Holland near the Belgian border (and the Zolder race track), then in Oldenburg, and later in Gütersloh, near my home town of Bielefeld on the Teutoburg forests range (where the Teutonic tribes killed several Roman legions commanded by Varus). In Gütersloh I was part of a 100 men strong German AF (spit and polish) Kompanie within the huge British Barracks. I would sneak off into the Brit officers clubs, was introduced to Snooker, and a single malt cost only half a German Mark. This was when the US dollar was worth about 4 and a half German Marks.
I have been collecting single malts for about 18 Years, and have tasted every one of them.
Musician friends would bring obscure or in the U.S. hard to get bottles, like Ledaig from the Isle of Mull. Beside the 80 or so single malts, I have around 30 blended scotch.
A thistle glass is a good way to get the maximum aroma, and of course drink the stuff.
To your health, and what is left of mine. Cheers

P.S. Water and scotch is a funny little thing to try, where you first pour water into a glass, put a cloth napkin over the glass, and push if down with a reversed spoon until the bottom of the napkin touches the water in the glass, now slowly drip the spirit onto the reversed spoon until you like the measure. When you remove the spoon and napkin, the scotch will stay on top of the water unless stirred.
By having the scotch on top of the water, you will drink part scotch and part water, but the palate is being tricked in tasting undiluted scotch.

Originally Posted by Teutone
I agree, the 16 Yr Lagavulin is in a class of its own (IMO).
In the last 8 Years or so, the price has doubled here.

Response from Naomilla:
$75 a bottle around here I tell to whomever looking for a gift for me to go out and buy Lagavulin. The late Michael Jackson (Beer and spirits critic, not the child-molesting freak) gave it almost a perfect score and Scotch noobs bought them having persuaded by men's magazines from GQ to FHM that noted it as a must have in a man's liquor cabinet, driving up the price.

·
Banned
17,697 Posts
Dude, pay attention. The threads are on this forum, they're just not this thread :rolleyes:

Sorry, you are correct, they should make you become a paying member with all of that worthwhile info you are gleaning from this place........

·
BenzWorld Elitist
11,490 Posts
My previous research convinced me that those were the wisest contributions, not trying to cast any shade elsewhere.

But I happen to know that those two contributors are pretty wise anyway ;)

1 - 20 of 89 Posts