Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Monroe and bilstein are good. Before I spend money I would like some input. I can also get KnB, autotrust, replacement...
Any thoughts? Any brand I want to avoid?

·
Registered
6,561 Posts
I've not heard anything good about Monroe for any car I've ever owned. I don't know if this sweeping negative comment helps or not!

·
Outstanding Contributor
2,995 Posts
I bought a pair of Monroe Sensatracs and replaced only one front shock. While I could get the old failing one out I had a difficult time getting the new one in, so I didn't do the other side. (Anyways I read somewhere it is not necessary to change both sides, and I almost killed myself loosening one bolt and the spring all of a sudden decompressed shooting the bolt somewhere I had to find.) So far I am very happy with the results. Positives are that I believe they are cheaper and they also have a lifetime warranty. (It cost me $69.91 for two from what was then Kragen.)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hi David,
My daughter came swaning home from school and took the Mercedes back with
her. (her car) It was apparently a much smaller of window of opportunity
to work on the car than I thought. I don't know when I'm going to get a
chance to work on it again so you might as well note on the Benz Board that
they are still for sale.
Sorry
Pete

2 Rear Bilstein HDs for sale.
55 dollars each and shipping at cost.

David

·
Registered
965 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol! I usted to sell car parts when I was 19yrs old. People bought monroe a lot, but you know... They're cheaper. I believe that is cheaper to buy expensiver items that will last longer. Therefore, cheaper at the end.
I sold Parts by volume, I didn't need to know mechanics. Only needed to know who had the best price for my clients needs and put together their requests in one order.

·
Registered
157 Posts
One word... Armstrong!

Why? 'Cuzz *breaks into song* You're safe, in the arms of Armstrong...

Hang on a sec... Is that just a South African brand?

·
Outstanding Contributor
2,995 Posts
My experience with parts is that when they come with a lifetime warranty is that they hardly ever fail. I've had to replace the OEM shocks more than once. They come with the standard Mercedes warranty... So far I haven't changed the one Monroe shock. It's been several years now....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts