Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Great looking car! Love the whole package!!
Won't long term storage with the soft top down be hard on the plastic rear window?
We always store ours with soft top up and premium car cover.

signed,
fellow Canuckian

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Great looking car! Love the whole package!!
Won't long term storage with the soft top down be hard on the plastic rear window?
We always store ours with soft top up and premium car cover.

signed,
fellow Canuckian
If you have a quality top...no problem.
I also have a rolled up towel in the window fold and a flannel sheet over the whole top before folding.
It's stored in a dry barn....but it's still a barn.....mice LOVE fabric.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,762 Posts
Rodents not only love fabric they love rubber vac. lines and wiring. I can't remember if you cover yours. If you don't leave the hood open. If you cover use poison. Those are the only things I have found to be effective. I have such a problem with rodents here that I prop the hoods open about a foot on my weekly driver car and truck.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #27

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
31,762 Posts
The only food source is automotive wiring and vac. lines. Haven't had dogs for years so no food outside.

·
Premium Member
1973 450SL, 1999 c230
914 Posts
It's an odd colour. Makes the whole thing look longer and lower. I remember sitting in it and thinking it was longer than my 73.... Nice color. Being a bit hard on the old girl with the 10 footer comment. More to the point it's not a trailer queen. It gets used... Bumps and bruises can all be buffed out, experiences last forever.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you have a quality top...no problem.
I also have a rolled up towel in the window fold and a flannel sheet over the whole top before folding.
It's stored in a dry barn....but it's still a barn.....mice LOVE fabric.
Thanks nobby!
We always used to install hardtop on previous '72 350SL but recent years on '76 560SL w/OEM canvas, the hardtop stays in storage and rarely ever gets installed. May start rethinking instead on overthinking! ;)

·
Registered
1985 380sl
120 Posts
The Pig looks very distinguished in a hat. I put the hat on baby last weekend, not because the local climate needs it, but simply because this accessory exists, I own it, it takes up space in the garage, and baby looks good in it - her winter clothes.

What I really want to do is rig up a fast/easy electric hard top hoist like Panzer so I can easily lift the hard top on those handful of winter days that beg for a topless drive.

·
Premium Member
1986 560SL with M120 V12 Engine, 1988 560SL Stock
9,752 Posts
Hard top should be going on Samson very shortly. Drag Racing requirement.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts