Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2015 B200 W246
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchase a W246 B200, but not before firstly, having satisfied myself that I could carry a full size* spare tyre in the usual location under the floor of the rear luggage compartment, and secondly that I could replace the ‘Run on Flat’ tyres fitted to the car with conventional radial tyres.
*A full size tyre in so far as it being the same 25 inch diameter as the 225/45R17 tyres that came as standard on my new W246 B200, however the tyre width had to come down to 195mm.
I have completed this project now, it only took me a few hours to do the work required on the car, but I spent a fair bit of time researching the options available before I satisfied myself that it could be done.
If you have a ‘B’ with a Command Package option don’t bother reading on because you’re out of luck, the spare wheel space is occupied by the amplifier that goes with that option, however I expect that my findings would be applicable to any other W246 B-Class vehicle.
The end result is that I now carry a 195/65R15 spare tyre in the back of my B200, (it’s the spare supplied with a W203 C200) the only compromise is that the floor panel has to live permanently in the upper ‘flush’ position, but this still provides a very functional luggage space and there is a bit of space under the floor panel for small items.
I have written a detailed account of the work I did to make this happen, with some suggestion resulting from what I learnt, but it is about two pages long and being a new comer to this ’forum’ stuff I am not sure whether it is appropriate to post something that long???.
I believe that it is a big mistake by MB to supply these cars with 225/45R17 low profile tyres; a 205/55R16 would be a much more logical choice and would result in a better ride and a lot fewer flat and damaged tyre stories; I might expand this thought in another post sometime.

·
Registered
2015 Mercedes B250 4Matic
100 Posts
Go ahead please post the details on how you got a spare tire and jack tools in the back of a B-class. Pictures would be good too.

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,379 Posts
I have written a detailed account of the work I did to make this happen, with some suggestion resulting from what I learnt, but it is about two pages long and being a new comer to this ’forum’ stuff I am not sure whether it is appropriate to post something that long???.
It is OK. You can save your account on a .doc file and that can be added to your post as an attachment using the 'Manage Attachments' facility below. I do it all the time here with .pdf files from the MB WIS.

A family member has a B-class model, so I'm interested.

·
Registered
2015 B200 W246
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
CARRY A FULL SIZE SPARE TYRE IN YOUR W234 B–CLASS
Being able to carry a near full size conventional radial tyre as a spare in your car provides the solution for two common scenarios that B-Class owners are faced with.
Firstly, for those of us who wish to ditch the Run-Flats and fit conventional radial tyres to their car, it provides the means of carrying a conventional full size and fully inflated spare tyre in the back, just like we used to do.
Call me old fashioned if you like, but I’ll only use this latest technology when it’s sound and logical.
Secondly, it provides a significant benefit to those owners who wish to keep using Run-Flat tyres to take advantage of their ‘get you home ability’ when driving locally around town; but who may be concerned about the ‘very limited distance’ that they could travel following a deflated tyre waring or when a tyre is destroyed outright by hitting a pothole or debris on the road when driving well out of town or on a touring trip for instance. Remember, MB promote this vehicle as a “Sports Tourer”???
In this scenario you can take advantage of the ‘run when flat’ characteristics of your tyre to continue for a short distance until you find a safe location to stop and fit the spare tyre, then continue on your journey as planed without any distance limitations. If the deflated tyre is removed quickly enough it may even be repairable rather than being trashed as is usually the case with deflated Run-Flat tyres.
I have knocked-up a detailed description of the work I did on my B200 and mentioned some options others could consider using to make the job even easier, please find it attached to this post.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 B200 (W246)
1 Posts
Have COMAND, but still useful info to have.

I have the COMAND (for the voice recognition) in my B200, so any spare would have to go in the boot. Thanks for the info on which to buy though -- will keep an eye out for that W203 C200. There is room for the jack and wheel brace next to the amplifier in a plastic moulding.

We've taken our B200 on the backroads between Ipswich and Beaudesert, but had to take it easy in places due to washouts. If we were going to blow a tyre we wanted to be close enough that it wasn't a day long wait for RACQ. Since then we've been up mountains and back roads in NSW. A nice car is there to be driven :) A trip beyond Roma or St George would definitely require a spare.

·
Registered
B200, W246 (2015)
3 Posts
I recently purchase a W246 B200, but not before firstly, having satisfied myself that I could carry a full size* spare tyre in the usual location under the floor of the rear luggage compartment, and secondly that I could replace the ‘Run on Flat’ tyres fitted to the car with conventional radial tyres.
*A full size tyre in so far as it being the same 25 inch diameter as the 225/45R17 tyres that came as standard on my new W246 B200, however the tyre width had to come down to 195mm.
I have completed this project now, it only took me a few hours to do the work required on the car, but I spent a fair bit of time researching the options available before I satisfied myself that it could be done.
If you have a ‘B’ with a Command Package option don’t bother reading on because you’re out of luck, the spare wheel space is occupied by the amplifier that goes with that option, however I expect that my findings would be applicable to any other W246 B-Class vehicle.
It is OK. You can save your account on a .doc file and that can be added to your post as an attachment using the 'Manage Attachments' facility below. I do it all the time here with .pdf files from the MB WIS.

A family member has a B-class model, so I'm interested.
Are you able to post some photos, did you remove the hinge section for the lift up floor?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts