Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks I am tired of it . I have a factory tape head unit in my 99 E#@). I will get rid of my OEM head unit (who cares about the phone, anyway!) and then will be able to adda new HEAD UNIT and wia MP3 CD Changer inthe trunk. Now, help me out in picking a decent but inexpensive head unit, and a mp3 cd changer

Lets go shopping! I prefer a head unit with built in cd changer (I hear 2003 models are 6 disc cd changer in the head unit? but I am sure its sticnking proicey!), MP3 is good to have.

How do I go about it, since the system is BOSE... will I be spending 50s and 70s of dollars on converters and pigtail changers?

I prefer to install something that I can revert back to Factory unit when I sell the car.

Also, If I cut open and add a double din unit, are there any for the W210? Double din with MP3 cd changer .. oog mouth watering!

Any help in sourcing and pointing me to the do it yourself threads is greatly appreciated!

[^][^][^][^][^][^]

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
[quote]
Folks I am tired of it . I have a factory tape head unit in my 99 E#@). I will g...

Folks I am tired of it . I have a factory tape head unit in my 99 E#@). I will get rid of my OEM head unit (who cares about the phone, anyway!) and then will be able to add a new HEAD UNIT and wia MP3 CD Changer in the trunk. Now, help me out in picking a decent but inexpensive head unit, and a mp3 cd changer

[...]

How do I go about it, since the system is BOSE... will I be spending 50s and 70s of dollars on converters and pigtail changers?

I prefer to install something that I can revert back to Factory unit when I sell the car.

Also, If I cut open and add a double din unit, are there any for the W210? Double din with MP3 cd changer .. oog mouth watering!
1) I care about the integrated phone... so much that I've added it to all my cars, and will switch them all to use a Nokia 6310i!

2) Bose presents no real problem in your car. Just go to Best Buy or Circuit City and buy a VW/Audi headunit adapter (about $15). This will give you all the power and speaker wires that go to your headunit. If you end up having excessive hiss, wire in a speaker/line converter, or take the line level outputs of your headunit and feed it to the speaker wires in the car. The speaker wires in a 99 Bose system are not really speaker wires, but go to the input of the Bose amp. The way this is done varies by year, but I think your E320 works this way.

3) If you want to install a double-DIN unit, you really should buy the correct REINFORCEMENT PIECE from the dealer (this is the plastic behind the dash that holds the stereo). This part is only about $20. You will also need a new wood trim piece, which is about $275.

4) Using #2 and #3 above, and keeping your old parts, you should be able to revert back to your stock setup very quickly and with no additional expense.

-s-

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get your point and am encouraged by it.. Here are the still unresolved questions.. Bef...

I get your point and am encouraged by it.. Here are the still unresolved questions.. Before that, here is what I have decided so far.. No double din unit anymore (I am one of those people who doesnt like spending money on 'replacement' pieces, trim or otherwise).

What about bose speakers are 2 ohm dnd head units are not.... Also, are there any units that don't need 'converter' 'adapter' type fittings, not only that they are lost money, but they inevitably educe sound quality. And what about the fibre optic pigtails part...

I priced a Becker audio for mercedes, BE2210 with BEcker trunk CD changer... for 420 us dollars. Its good that it won't need converters, modifications. Its however not mp3 compatible... Should I go for the becker and add a glove box mp3 device (may be $200 on the glovebox device is not bad). Does the becker 2210 have aux input.. PLEASE help out guys...

thanksin advance[xx(][xx(][xx(][xx(]

Attachments

·
Registered
560 SEC Supercharged(sold), E55 AMG, Renntech CL600 Bi-turbo, Porsche 928
1,989 Posts
Let's make this quick and easy. You will need the line level converter from these guys:

Let's make this quick and easy. You will need the line level converter from these guys:
http://peripheralelectronics.com/peri_contact_main.htm
Call Becker for your wiring harness adapter that will plug into your existing harness so you don't have to cut wires. I think it is a part number from the ML. You will also need a VW antenna adaptor to use an aftermarket headunit and can get that from quite a few places. You will also need the radio removal tool from your Mercedes dealership.

After you get everything wired, the system can be changed back to stock in less than 5 minutes. I replaced my stock headunit with a Premier 940. This unit is 1000% better in every way than the stock Mercedes headunit. I'm still running the stock Bose amp and speakers because at the time I didn't feel like rewiring the entire car. The stock Bose amp and speakers are not the best for sound quality but the new headunit should keep you happy for a while.

Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts