Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1984 300 Turbo Diesel
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
84 300 Turbo Diesel...

Recently, I found that I lost a rear lug nut and that I couldn't thread a new bolt in because the threads were stripped. I heard that I would be okay with 4 tight bolts.

I guess not.

Today, my car was wobbling and I found I was done to 2 lug bolts, and one was loose. Uh oh.

I feel I need to replace the part of the rear wheel that the bolts thread into. This is not the rotor, but rather what's underneath the rotor. Am I right about that and how big a deal is that. I don't remember what comes with that piece, or how much needs removed to get to repair it. Is there another good option?

(dangit)

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
thats one option. or, buy larger wheel studs and re-tap to fit. or re-tap to fit threaded stud and go to a lug nut set up. it might be possible that the threads are not totally gone but full of dooky. you may be able to chase the existing threads with a 12mm tap and use as is. although, i would use some kind of low temp loctite this time.

·
Registered
1985 380SE
1,939 Posts
Exact thing happened to me awhile ago. I was down to 1 lug on the left (driver's side hub). The threads were mildly trashed but the hub was saved and re-threaded. The other 3 hubs were re-threaded as well for good measure.
I was running the standard 14" steel wheels at the time and now I have 15" W124 8-hole wheels. 17mm lugs.

·
Registered
1984 300 Turbo Diesel
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does anyone know how the hub comes off the rear? I only looked at the rear rotor recently, which comes right off after you take the calipers off. And what is the name of that part that the rear lugs screw into? (the hub?) And where I'd be able to buy it? Am in looking at salvage or are there other good options?

·
Registered
1985 300D W123 Cali
1,408 Posts
I did a front hub at a PnP. I guess I could have just taken the rotor too, but I didn't want to get charged for it.

I took a long breaker bar with the proper hex head and also a cordless impact wrench.

·
Registered
'84 300D/ dakota benz trk. Sold... miss it. "88 260E '91 190E 2.6 '89 Volvo 240DL "85 300D
1,252 Posts
i say again, have someone tap the lug holes to a slightly larger thread size. save all that grunt work. who knows, you may end up getting a bad hub anyway.

·
Registered
money pits of various forms
5,885 Posts
i say again, have someone tap the lug holes to a slightly larger thread size. save all that grunt work. who knows, you may end up getting a bad hub anyway.
I wouldnt. It will be a never ending source of trouble when you get your tires rotated etc. HOWEVER. The rear is such a PITA it might be worth it. You will certainly want to replace the rear bearings if you swap the hub. I'd rather swap and engine than deal with the bearings. There is a reason its $50 in parts and $550 in labor.

·
'89 300E Turbo project, ‘85 Audi Coupe Quattro, ‘71 BMW turbo 2002, '73 BMW 2002tii, ‘67 Kaiser M725
17,692 Posts
I wouldnt. It will be a never ending source of trouble when you get your tires rotated etc. HOWEVER. The rear is such a PITA it might be worth it. You will certainly want to replace the rear bearings if you swap the hub. I'd rather swap and engine than deal with the bearings. There is a reason its $50 in parts and $550 in labor.
This is where you separate the men from the boys :D

·
Registered
1984 300 Turbo Diesel
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, I took a close-in step one... For now- I rethreaded the lug at the same size (and tried to put the low-grip LocTite on it per O'Reilly's advice). I'll keep an eye on it. I don't really expect it to hold, but it has me on the road. Maybe, maybe, my starter thread was damaged and with that repaired, the rest will hold. I'm not really expecting it to.

At the same time, I have the bit and the tap to bring it up to 14 mm from 12. I also got a lug, but it is 4 mm shorter. Those are precious mm's, so I hope it will hold (if I have to do it).

If that all fails, I'm on to a hub replace of some sort. I'll keep you posted- this shouldn't take long to fail if it is.

One other thing I noticed- my rotor holes don't line up very well with the hub.

·
Registered
1984 300 Turbo Diesel
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, Jon, for letting me know about your extra hub. I definitely may need it or want to pick it up just in case.

Thanks, Fred

·
Registered
2013 MINI Copper S Clubman, '84 300CD-weekend car
10,152 Posts
There are many pages in the FSM on replacing the "rear axle shaft flange". Number 78 in the exploded view.
I think you need to deal with the bearing too.
Appears quite involved.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts