1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
Unimog U1250
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This believe it or not is a Unimog.

This is what I was told:

100% Unimog underneath, chassis lengthened. Engine in original spot. A KW is 'Cab over engine' and it is a lot easier to hide a 180hp Benz motor than a 650hp Cat, in fact the normally huge engine cover between the seats has been reduced in size. Camper body is made from freezer van type composite honeycomb wall panel called 'Monopan', built without a frame so really light weight. The body is mounted on a centre spine to allow the chassis to flex underneath. Weighs only 7.5t dry, 9t with liquids/people/stuff. Can cruise at 105k but nicer at 80-90k where you get 19 litres per 100k.

I'm trying to get a few photos of the engineering that when into this. That's one major re-build.

Attachments

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
Interesting ... no frame ... I guess if the body panels are rigid enough (honeycomb) you really don't need a frame.

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
the worst of both worlds. Sacrifice HP and speed for grunt and gearing, ground clearance, which is all shot to shit with the low clearance. And, it's ugly. Not cute mog ugly, just ugly. And this is coming from someone with a soft spot for ugly trucks..

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Now thats a cool truck.....Anybody know the Unimog chassis he is using? I like the FMTV cab he is using....Some of the newer mogs are using this like the U20. I'd certainly entertain owning it if I had the budget to afford to run it like it should....exploring!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts