Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1990 300ce 24v
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I figure 1 of 2 things. Either there is a guy running around my neighborhood with a screw driver punching holes in my muffler...or its just time to replace the muffler.

My Remus muffler has about 3-4 rust holes in it and I now have to replace it (apparently a common problem). Well instead of getting the "read the other posts" answers, I have some other questions. I'm debating whether I'm going to sell my car (throw something on the back of it) or keep it and upgrade the exhaust and make the CE my project car. Now when I say upgrade I mean use the largest diameter pipe I can, free flow cat (if one at all...sorry EPA, but I know I can get by the emmission (my secret)), then either not using a center muffler and using a large one (that spans the whole rear end, similar to those on M5's, not sure if it would fit though) on the back, or splitting it into two after the cat.

Here are my questions:
1) Has anybody had a "custom" exhaust fitted? I really want to open it up (wider diameter, free flow...).
2) I haven't looked under the CE but is it possible to run dual mufflers off the back? Either split it up after the cat, or split it near the rear. I'm also not sure if the pipes go over the axel or not. I assume they do which would make it tricky.
3) These cars have two mufflers. Obviously they are for noise reduction but do they also act to "step-down" the exhaust pressure from the middle to the back? 1 muffler would significantly rob power from the pressure so I want to continue with two but would prefer to do it on the rear.
4)Finally who would you guys recommend? Like i said I had the Remus and it looks fabulous and sounds great. I wouldn't mind staying with them but who else (price conscience please...).

Oh and in case you've been wondering why I want to upgrade the exhaust so bad, its because I'm probably going to fit a supercharger onto the car if I keep it (obviously rebuild the head, replace some internals, etc.). I know a guy who has a machine shop who can do all my brackets and everything (the guy has built a Lambo kit car with over 1000bhp, I'm sure this would be cake for him...). I already have the handling down and it is too gorgeous of a car to be underpowered. I want to put here in the 300's (both hp and trq!). Anyways sorry for the long read but if you can help me out that would be great!

·
Registered
1987 Mercedes 300e
400 Posts
well im not sure about this, but if you do follow up for the ce being your peoject car... im very willing to read this as a newspaper. good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts