Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 E350 CGI Avant Garde Sport
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My key fobs for both my S and SL are worn out and the keys are getting worn. A friend bought me a couple of blanks from ebay (key blank and fob) and I guess I can transfer over the electronics from the old ones.

Two questions-

1. Can the key blanks be cut by a locksmith?

2. If not can the switchblade key (just the key, not the fob) be purchased from the dealer and I just put them in the new key fob?

·
Registered
97 S500coupe. 97 sl320 2000 Corvette 1999 V star 650 Classic
701 Posts
eBay key fobs

My understanding is that the Mercedes key fobs sold on eBay that represent themselves as being able to be programmed/cut to replace your original key fob are a complete rip off and waste of money. Perhaps I have been misinformed but that is what I have heard. Their only value is to use as a replacement case - you would move all the guts from the old worn out case into the new one - this includes the electronics and the old original cut key.

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
But does Mercedes sell the key part without having to buy the whole key fob?
no not transferable. if you buy the housings from china you are going to need to modify the casing so it fits. i will take apart my key and post up pics. the blades can be installed on you current key and you need to find a special shop that can cut the key. also yes the keys are reprogrammable but if you mess it up its garbage dealers wont do it. personal transponder chip programmers can do it but it comes out to cost cheaper to replace the key with an original unit.

·
Premium Member
2012 E350 CGI Avant Garde Sport
1,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I guess my question wasn't clear

Can you order the blade (The actual key already cut) by itself from the dealer without buying the fob?

The 92 and 93 models do not have the transponder. One of my remote key fobs is in pieces and I checked

·
Registered
92 500SEL to 01 E320T current 2014 lexus LS460
3,886 Posts
The whole assembly including cut key are $160 each from Mercedes with a proper coded remote. MB dealers no longer cut keys, some locksmiths have keys but they are Chinese and are brass, not steel. I have heard of people paying up to $100 to a locksmith. I would buy new, plus you always have spares.
E-Bay remotes are good for housings, thats it!

·
Registered
97 S500coupe. 97 sl320 2000 Corvette 1999 V star 650 Classic
701 Posts
Mercedes keys

My experience with MB keys - the dealers only process the paperwork. Be prepared to show paperwork that proves you own the car or they will not be able to help you. The keys are "made" in one central location for MB USA - I want to say in Texas. The whole process takes at least 7-10 days and the key will be shipped to the dealer - not to you. There are a few locksmiths out there (very few) who still claim to cut keys for some Mercedes. I tried one once and the cost for one key was going to be $50 - ended up they did not have the right blank and I ended up going to the MB dealer anyway. I'm afraid Mercedes is the only game in town.

·
Registered
1997 S500V, 1999 S500 grand edition, 2006 s65 amg
7,356 Posts
Can you order the blade (The actual key already cut) by itself from the dealer without buying the fob?

The 92 and 93 models do not have the transponder. One of my remote key fobs is in pieces and I checked
the dealer can sell you just a key for about $30 and no its not the blade its an old fashioned key.

since yours doesn't have the transponder chip to program the alarm you just need to find a locksmith that can cut it for you.

·
Registered
1994 s320 lwb
62 Posts
Hi Guys
I get very depressed when is see how cheap parts are in the states, In Australia i had to get a new key and remote from MB dealer was about $375.
regards to all

·
Registered
CL500 W140 '97 Coupe
62 Posts
They are fairly cheap in the UK to..and with plenty of 2nd hand parts available as well !!

Hope that cheers you up :)

Tapatalk from Galaxy S2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts