Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
88 560SL and 07 C280
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my 1988 560SL a couple of weeks ago. Have been a fan of MBs for many years and always loved the lines of the 107 class. I started checking buying guides and tips in the forum, and to be honest I would not have bought the car if it weren’t for the great information here. So I am looking on spending quite a bit of time here asking questions. Thanks to all members that have posted incredible amount of information.

About the car, it is original and unmolested. It has about 110,500 miles and two previous owners. I say about in the mileage because the odometer is intermittent. Color is 587 Bordeaux Red, or Pajett Red Metallic as the Germans call it. Interior is 278 Gray. Soft top is black. I give you the numbers because I already got the Datacard from MB Classic Center.

It was almost a “Barn” find. The car was actually parked in a shed and I found quite a bit of mice droppings in the soft top compartment and in the trunk. The mice really liked chewing on the beige material on the underside of the top; it’s going to have to be replaced soon. As far as the mileage, I found an old inspection receipt with about 100K miles. The tires (Pirelli) were from 1999 based on the marking on the sidewall, and they probably had 20k miles left. So I am guessing that the car was driven about 20k miles in the last 10 years.

I paid $5,500 for the car. The A/C was not working. I took it to my local mechanic and they just had to recharge it with Freon 12 (ouch). The ac works fine now, except I have an intermittent fan. Not sure if it is the switch or the blower. Paint is burned in a couple of spot around the hood, but nothing that needs immediate attention. Interior is in good shape and no need to replace seats or carpet. Driver side seat is a little worn, but it can wait.

Of course I have questions, so here I go:

Question 1. Car rides low on the back, there is nothing in the trunk. How do you inspect/ diagnose the self leveling mechanism of the suspension?

Question 2. No idea about the age of the timing chain or the rail guides. How do “old-worn” guides look like?

Question 3. The rubber bushings in the suspension look fine. But how do you tell if they are old and need replacement if they don’t look like they are coming apart. Same question for the engine and transmission mounts.

Thanks for your input

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 380SL
56 Posts
Congrats on your SL.
It’s a fun car to drive. If you treat it with a lot of TLC and maintain it well, it’ll last forever.

Last summer, I had the bushings, shocks, control arms, sway bars, etc, etc. (basically the entire front suspension) replaced after noticing some squeaking or creaking noises every time I went over a speed bump. After 28 years, it was about that time. Spent $$$$ for the repairs and replacement, but it was well worth the money and the ride is so much smoother as if it was brand new.

You have a lot of resources for good information on this site.
Best of luck and enjoy the ride.

·
Premium Member
88 560SL and 07 C280
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thouight one of the main improvements between the 380SL and the 560SL was the rear supension. If it is not a "self-levelling" mechanism, what is the difference then?

·
Premium Member
88 560SL and 07 C280
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dugald:

Thanks for the correction about the rear suspension on the 560SL. I have seen a post about the dimensions and heights at different points. Do you know were it is?

I was not aware of the MB107 website. Another place to check around.

·
Registered
US spec MB560SL 1986, Audi A4 and A6, Ford Taunus 1964 17M and 2.0 1975
1,419 Posts

·
Premium Member
107, 115, 116, 123, 124, 126
5,924 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Love your screen name. Can't believe somebody else didn't take that, although the 560's didn't have that as an option in the US. You've had a lot of other MB's...what brought you to Benzworld now? Glad you're "aboard."

·
Premium Member
88 560SL and 07 C280
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Welcome to the forum! Love your screen name. Can't believe somebody else didn't take that, although the 560's didn't have that as an option in the US. You've had a lot of other MB's...what brought you to Benzworld now? Glad you're "aboard."
I am on my 11th MB, the first was a 73 280C. the 560SL is my latest. I have done a lot of work myself and some by the local dealer or indie shops. The 560SL is one I am planning on keeping for a long time and plan on doing a lot of work myself. I am planning on using my knowledge of the intrinsicacies of the MBs to use, not to mention the different specialty tools I have acquired in many years. I have used the Forum for many years to learn about the cars I have. It's time I pay back. I joined as a paying lifetime member!.

Today I was planning on inspecting the brake pads. I founf they were worn and needing replacement. At least one of the rotors is warped, I am going to replace them all now. And to make things more interesting, one of the calipers is frozen and cant retract the piston. So new caliper (right front) tomorrow and now I have to bleed the brake system.

It's the fun I was looking for!

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,509 Posts
Today I was planning on inspecting the brake pads. I founf they were worn and needing replacement. At least one of the rotors is warped, I am going to replace them all now. And to make things more interesting, one of the calipers is frozen and cant retract the piston. So new caliper (right front) tomorrow and now I have to bleed the brake system.
Brakes = everything in pairs

Welcome to the forum.

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,345 Posts
Welcome to the 107 asylum. I love the color combination.
If you have been around the MBs you probably already subscribe to the EPC.

·
Registered
1985 380SL(2) 1973 450SL
491 Posts
Love your new ride....errr...except for the wheel "eyebrows" ugh. Maybe you could peek under there and see if they could be removed and not leave any marks. If not, just put some chrome spinners, some fuzzy dice and maybe curb feelers on... take it the rest of the way....

·
R/C107 Moderator
1986 560SL: '84 500SL: '84 280SL 5 speed: other 107s
32,345 Posts
What is wrong with fuzzy dice? I am an honorary member of the back fuzzy dice gang.

·
Registered
1985 380SL(2) 1973 450SL
491 Posts
Well Rowdie, maybe I mispoke on the fuzzy dice....what I meant to say was why don't you get a set of gold grilles for your teeth. lmao

·
Premium Member
88 560SL and 07 C280
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Whats is the EPC? Eyebrow Promoting Club? I have always loved the chrome eyebrows in the MB's. Curb feelers that is a no-no. That is were you put the pink LED lights!

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,509 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts