Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1999 ML320
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whent to put some oil in thismorning and it was,as always,tight to open but when i finally got it open i found some yellow almost like Fat on the lid and covering the edges of the pipe.What is this? and whys it there?

1999 ML320

·
Registered
Dallas, Texas
7,699 Posts
It is emulsified fat. It's there because it's cold outside and you make frequent short trips. Moisture has never time to evaporate.

Please, update your profile with vehicle and location info.

·
Registered
ML350 Inspiration (2003) - LPG converted :D
13 Posts
All you need to do is give the car a good run to get it up to temperature...though in this weather we're having at the moment you'll be lucky:mad:

If the head gasket has gone you'll see it in the coolant as well as the oil cap..99% of the time though it is down to too many short journeys and not enough long ones..simple as that!!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1999 ML320
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At the moment just to the shops and back which is about 5-10 mins drive.been alot of snow about.

·
Registered
ML350 Inspiration (2003) - LPG converted :D
13 Posts
At the moment just to the shops and back which is about 5-10 mins drive.been alot of snow about.
There's your answer...nothing to worry about. Give a half decent run when you can...it is a 4x4 after all:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1999 ML320
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There's your answer...nothing to worry about. Give a half decent run when you can...it is a 4x4 after all:thumbsup:
Yeah we do but its the other people who cant control their shitty hatchbacks in the snow,already been hit by one lol.just checked the coolant and its fine.

Thanks alot.

·
Registered
'05 ML350SE
1,395 Posts
Some call it motor snot. It is not specific to the ML as it happens in all vehicles under similar conditions.

·
Registered
1999 ML 430
394 Posts
Chilly temps, high humidity, and short trips.

Mine stays inside overnight but it is in an unheated garage all day M-F and the trip home is only about 8 miles, so the vehicle doesn't really get all that warm. It's a balmy +11F this AM, up from -15F yesterday AM, and that's pretty decent weather for this time of year. I had to add a quart of oil the other day and there was some of the whitish/yellowish "stuff" on the cap; just goes with the territory if you don't take long trips and it is chilly outside, say below about +40F.

I think it is worth it to put an engine heater on any vehicle that stays outside in temperatures below about freezing. They've never made it mandatory but there are constant campaigns here in Anchorage and up in Fairbanks to get people to install heaters and plug their cars in anytime it is below +20F so that they don't spend so much time idling to warm them up or keep them warm. Many cars have remote starts so it is very common to lock the car in front of a store or at the mall and then use the remote to start it and keep it warm. Wasteful as Hell and very polluting, but it beats putting your butt on a cold seat at twenty below.

·
Registered
2004 SL500; 2003 E320; 2001 ML430 Sport; 1999 E320 Wagon
404 Posts
I drive about 10 miles each way to work. It is far enough to get the engine warm, but not far enough in these conditions to cook away this effect. But, it's been doing it for 10 years and all seems well with my motor so I don't lose any sleep over it. I even tried a couple different 'approved' oils over the years and they all seemed to do it in cold weather.

My wife does not drive as far in her E320 however and her's is often worse:

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts