Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
unimog was on the front page of the province news paper today
Never mind the Unimog, what about the embarrassment for the Olympic Organizers? Frozen water to split the gondola tower??? My cars never split apart, when water freezes after washing the car during cold weather....

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Eight years ago I worked on Whistler Mountain in expanding gondola lift - restaurant addition project.It was one of the coolest jobs I've done.
Every morning at 6:30 am we took gondola lift.Half way we switched to chair lift, that took us to the top. After day's work we took the same route back home.
Sometimes, when we worked on weekends lifts didn't work, so we used to take 4 x 4's to get to the top.I remember seeing a few times two Mogs (MBU's) parked by the shed on the way up.They both were orange and looked so cool - it felt like right vehicle in the right place.
So watching those videos it feels like Unimog is there as the best choice for this kind of job.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Never mind the Unimog, what about the embarrassment for the Olympic Organizers? Frozen water to split the gondola tower??? My cars never split apart, when water freezes after washing the car during cold weather....
Hahaha that doesn't even make sense your car doesn't split apart because the frozen water has somewhere to expand too. Drain all the coolant out of your car and put in straight water with no where to go your head or block will split. In my opinion sh*t happens the media blows everything way out of proportion no body died it was a freak accident not everything can be predicted. :)

i've rode that thing many times any i wont hesitate to do it again once fixed i think i will be up there on the weekend. Hopefully it will be less busy because of this

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I've also watched them Installing those towers (8 years ago).
Only difference was the posts were of one piece.
Prior to the installation all the posts were brought to the bottom of the mountain and the headers were already on top of mountain.
They used chopper, which carried post from the bottom of the mountain to previously poured foundation.Installation of the post in place took 30 sec and chopper was already flying up to the top of the mountain to pick up a header.By the time it was back with the header the workers were already waiting for it sitting on top of the post. Another 30 sec and chopper was already flying to pick up another post.Within an hour or so, they managed to install about 14 towers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts