Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put in yellow bulbs to my fogs on the SE not long ago. To be honest it was mainly for the look, I like it a lot.

I had reason to use them on a long journey today when thick fog was around. They were great! I did read an article at one point that said the logic had been found to be incorrect and that yellow fogs were no more effective than normal ones, but tonight they were really awesome.

However I'm wondering two things. If I paint the reflectors to the fogs, does anyone have any experience on whether yellow bulbs AND yellow reflectors would make them any less effective?
I love the look of these while switched on but I'd like the look of the colour of the reflector being yellow too. Not if it would affect performance though!

Also, any ideas on yellow reflector paint? I can't paint the lens as many people do because being a Euro the whole lens is one piece.

Attachments

·
1991 500SEC sub 50K mi. 1987 560SEC Now 150K mi. 2018
4,194 Posts
"However, I'm wondering two things. If I paint the reflectors to the fogs, does anyone have any experience on whether yellow bulbs AND yellow reflectors would make them any less effective?
I love the look of these while switched on but I'd like the look of the colour of the reflector being yellow too. Not if it would affect performance though!
"

Hey Ian, I too like the look of yellow fogs and have the yellow bulbs.. Foglights [lenses] were always yellow as I first became aware of them in the mid-1960's...

I have no firsthand experience with painted reflectors.. That said, people have posted on here stating painted reflectors are not as effective as the real deal.. Perhaps the painted 'good smooth' surface would/could be less effective as the light would be reflecting off the paint, rather than the smooth silvered metal..

A thought..

M.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
13,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Malcs. Yeah I'm with you on that, I can't imagine paint would be good on a reflector.

I might have a go at painting the inside of the actual lens, maybe just on the foglamp bit. I can always scrub it off if it's rubbish.

·
Registered
1977 280SE, 1984 280SEL
18 Posts
I'm having really serious issues (as in terrifying) with driving at night on wet roads and facing very bright (most are these days) headlights. The painted lines just vanish. I'm thinking upping the power on my fog lights with CREE LEDs or augmenting the lights with under bumper spots aimed at the lines 60 feet or so in front or quit driving at night. Anybody else know what I mean?

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,061 Posts
I'm having really serious issues (as in terrifying) with driving at night on wet roads and facing very bright (most are these days) headlights. The painted lines just vanish. I'm thinking upping the power on my fog lights with CREE LEDs or augmenting the lights with under bumper spots aimed at the lines 60 feet or so in front or quit driving at night. Anybody else know what I mean?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts