Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1998 ml320
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Yellow Fluid near rear axle

This morning, I was fitting a hose clamp over the CV boot of the rear driver's side axle because it was missing. Bought a generic hose clamp, the ones with the large screw sticking out. Here's where I screwed up. I neglected to check the clearance of the screw and it ended up hitting the hose/cable attached to the back of the rotor. Is this the parking brake cable? or some other hose?

Found some yellowish dye followed by some red spots after wiping it down. I have no idea where it's coming from.

Attachments

·
Purple Moderator
99 ML430, 00 ML320, 05 E500 4matic Wagon
21,754 Posts
The parking brake is all mechanical so no fluid from that cable.

Look at your brake master cylinder. If the fluid is the same color you may have damaged
a brake line, but seeing as they are metal lines it would take some impact to rupture it.
Was the line it hit feeding the rear brake caliper? The parking brake is a black plastic
encased cable. The brake line screws directly into the caliper.

Now that it is clean check it again later today. If it still leaking and your brake fluid level
is not dropping then it could be something else.

Was the fluid there before you put the clamp on?

·
Purple Moderator
21,754 Posts
It is the only thing I can think of also. If the line is damaged it will have to be replaced and the truck should not be driven until then.

·
Registered
1998 ml320
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the suggestions. We had brakes done not too long ago, hopefully it is leftover fluid. The truck will sit in the garage until I'm positive there are no leaks.

·
Purple Moderator
21,754 Posts
Just an idea here. To make sure start the truck for a minute and pump the brake pedal a few times. If there is a line leak or a caliper leak the fluid will come out under the intense pressure of the brake system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts