Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1997 G320, 2001 CL55
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of upgrading to a newer G and wondered if there are any specific years I want to avoid.

Seem to be a lot of 2003 year models for sale...wondered if there was a connection....

Also drooling at the idea of goin all the way and skippin the 500 and leaping into a G55.

Any comments/advise?

Thanks,
Robert

·
Registered
G 500
1,079 Posts
Well, it is a matter of taste, but the '97 model you have is one of the best around.
Best overall is same with a 500 Engine.
When you want to go for the new interior, all are ok, they are technically all the same, only some differences in interior ( air bags etc. ) for newest models.
G55, well, there is no real ( from feeling ) power difference to a G500, but the rims, suspension and the exhaust sound are nice.
A real killer is the Kompressor Engine.

I would keep the 97 model and when you want something more modern, wait for theML 164 with off road package, that one with a powerful engine, air suspension and 7 gears is really a nice car.

·
Registered
1997 G320, 2001 CL55
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Point made....took me 8 months to find my worthy 97....knew it was a gem...

Think I'm just gettin the itch...move through a lot of cars and seem to need a scratch about every 12 to 18 monhts...I'm 15 months into my G, so that may be it.......

Thought there would be a more considerable differnce in the G55 compared to the 500....just tryin to get back to my roots...maybe I should be lookin at the 997 911 or 360 spider....

All that said, thanks for reminding me of what I have...maybe I could put a lift kit on it or tweak the motor to keep my mind off another ride...any suggestions for mods to her? Thinkin of taking her to 4x4 heaven...winch, Hannibal rack, big round fog lights on the brush guard, lift kit, BFG AT KO's...what am I missing?

Robert

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Hannibal Rack

rtgogo - 4/23/2005 12:09 PM

Thinkin of taking her to 4x4 heaven...winch, Hannibal rack,
Robert
If you can find a source for Hannibal racks in the US, please post it. Hannibal USA is out of business.

·
Registered
1997 G320, 2001 CL55
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Searched some old threads and saw Hannibal was the one to get...didn't know they were out of business....

·
Registered
2000 G500 NMLE
6,977 Posts
Hannibal

rtgogo - 4/23/2005 3:05 PM

Searched some old threads and saw Hannibal was the one to get...didn't know they were out of business....
Just the US distributor.

·
Registered
G 500
1,079 Posts
rtgogo - 4/24/2005 6:09 PM

All that said, thanks for reminding me of what I have...maybe I could put a lift kit on it or tweak the motor to keep my mind off another ride...any suggestions for mods to her? Thinkin of taking her to 4x4 heaven...winch, Hannibal rack, big round fog lights on the brush guard, lift kit, BFG AT KO's...what am I missing?

Robert
Well, one of the best mods you can do is a change from Brabus up to 3.6L
This one is one of the most agressive G Wagen then, because the Engine is lower from weight than the 500 engine, and the block itself is very good.

But when you need a thrill on pavement, I think, a Porsche or Ferrari may be a interesting choice.
Until you reach the 60 mph. [:D]

·
Registered
U1300l37 LF8
123 Posts
RE: Hannibal

I bought mine last year from:

http://www.hannibal.ca

The last time I talked to him the g-wagen racks were not a stock item so you should be prepared for a bit of lead time between ordering the rack and it arriving.

Steve is a good guy, tell him I said hi.

Chris.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts