Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

841 - 860 of 897 Posts

·
Registered
1988 560SL 50K
710 Posts
My new-to-me '73 450SL. 148,488 miles. I am really enjoying this car.
Very sweet and with all the spares even more so. Assume the PO picked up a parts car and stripped for the good stuff. Any history on what all happened?

Love more pics of the car itself. rowdie is correct (which is not a shocker) From 1972-77 buyers could choose the standard color-matched hubcaps or pay extra for 14-inch aluminum alloy wheels.

Be interesting what other options you have as list was much longer than later R107s. Used to be a Russian site you could input your VIN can get a built list of sorts (anyone know if this is still active?) or a dealer or MBUSA should be able to provide you with one. With that you could tell what your 450Sl was "born with".

·
Registered
1973 450SL and 2004 SL500
53 Posts
Very sweet and with all the spares even more so. Assume the PO picked up a parts car and stripped for the good stuff. Any history on what all happened?

Love more pics of the car itself. rowdie is correct (which is not a shocker) From 1972-77 buyers could choose the standard color-matched hubcaps or pay extra for 14-inch aluminum alloy wheels.

Be interesting what other options you have as list was much longer than later R107s. Used to be a Russian site you could input your VIN can get a built list of sorts (anyone know if this is still active?) or a dealer or MBUSA should be able to provide you with one. With that you could tell what your 450Sl was "born with".

Here are a couple more pics. The PO obtained most of the parts from the PO that he had bought it from four or so years ago, so not sure exactly what that owner was planning. It's hard for me to distinguish original from replaced, especially in the interior where there is the light tan seat upholstery and door cards, brown dash and console, and one light tan and one black visor! The black carpet is new. The rear bumper looks like the front in that it is the smaller Euro style and neither has the extra "bump outs" or riders. There are definitely a number of cosmetic things that I'd like to fix, but it seems like a pretty sound car, virtually zero rust (that is a very big deal here in MN), runs nicely and also rides very well. I do have a front transmission seal to replace this winter.

·
Outstanding Contributor , Bob's Your Uncle!
-----'83 280 SL----- 5 speed....The PIG
29,142 Posts
Discussion Starter #849

·
Registered
1984 380sl
10 Posts
1984 380sl 266,666 miles

Odometer stopped 10+ years per previous owner. Repaired it this year. Drove 5k of my own.

·
Premium Member
560SL 1986 244k miles astral grey / black
389 Posts
1986 560 244,343 miles. 30k in the last 10 years, 2,5k by me in 1,5 years.

841 - 860 of 897 Posts