Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm new here.

I'm located in the UK and I bought a year 2000 tip auto 320 in Lazulite Blue last week.

The car seems very good in terms of performance, sound and comfort and some of the originally planned mods have therefore gone by the way side (eg. Exhaust, induction etc.).

I had a modified Elise just prior to the 320 and so the SLK seems a little on the soft side around corners although I'm sure a good set of springs (Eibach?) will help sort that out.

My current problem is that having looked at Mercedes Performance's website (www.mercedesperformance.co.uk) I really fancy an SL look grill in the polished steel however the site only mentions it fitting the 200 and 230.

See here

http://www.mercedesperformance.co.uk/sitefiles/pdfs/SLKClassR170Ext.pdf

Does anyone know if this grill will fit? If not why not (and can it be made to fit?) and finally where I can get one the same cheaper. (It looks to be made by a company called Chromline http://www.djh-online.de)

Sorry for all the questions but I had assumed (possibly incorrectly) that the 200, 230 and 320 were all idenitical in terms of body panels?

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
Welcome to the club !

I don't think there is a difference in grill mounting between 230, 320 or 32, but others may correct me if i am wrong.

You saying you got 2000 320, do you have turn signals in mirrors ? I am asking because i thought 320 engine was available in SLK only starting in 2001, but may that was only in US.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes its the facelift model with body coded sides rather than the black lower section, indicators in mirror etc.

We got them from mid 2000 onwards in the UK.

·
Registered
SLK32, ML430
6,349 Posts
Kirill - 3/15/2005 3:53 PM

Welcome to the club !

I don't think there is a difference in grill mounting between 230, 320 or 32, but others may correct me if i am wrong.

You saying you got 2000 320, do you have turn signals in mirrors ? I am asking because i thought 320 engine was available in SLK only starting in 2001, but may that was only in US.
I belive Kirill is correct.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Having took notice of a 2003 200 Kompressor in our works car park the 320 front bumper is somewhat different and so this may be why it isn't listed as being compatible with the SL look grill?

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
As far as I know, all the upper grills are the same in the R 170 series.

But it's easy enough to call or e-mail and ask isn't it?
By the way, welcome to the club....[:D][:p]

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep tried that.

They say the manufacturer doesn't list the 320 (which I already know from the German version of their site) but still don't know if this is simply an ommission. They could offer no reason as to why it shouldn't fit [:D]

I've e-mailed the manufacturer on the US version of their website but so far no response in 3 days !!

Hence I thought I'd try here on the off chance someone has already fitted one to their 320 or could confirm that the "mouth" and mountings are the same for all models.

Seems strange that just this one grill isn't listed for 320 when all the others are.

Dave

·
Registered
2002 SLK 32 AMG, bone stock. 1987 190E 2.3-16 valve (destroyed). 2005 E320 new toy.
14,926 Posts
The chance that the grill wouldn't fit is almost nil......

The sheet metal on all the SLK's is the same, only the plastic is different.

·
Registered
01 SLK 320 MT6
4,477 Posts
DaveMorton - 3/15/2005 6:52 PM

Yes its the facelift model with body coded sides rather than the black lower section, indicators in mirror etc.

We got them from mid 2000 onwards in the UK.
OK, it 2001 model, it was just "released ahead of schedule"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all,

I think having looked around a few of the suppliers on SLK32.com that I'm feeling sufficiently brave to just order one and have a play [:)]. If it all goes wrong there is always e-bay to get rid of it again as I will save around £100 buying direct from manufacturer and so it has to worth a try.

I'll post back for completeness.

Cheers

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts