Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AME: "...the S-Class, with sales of over 650 units, continued to outsell its nearest segment competitors in its run out year. Meanwhile, the G-Class, the ultimate off-roader, more than doubled its sales."

http://www.ameinfo.com/news/Detailed/57590.html

Harald

·
Registered
92 300GDS, 87 280GEL
60 Posts
The people at mercedes-benz are clearly not with it, at all. RHD versions of the 463 have not been produced since 93 and the list of RHD countries is not small:

Anguilla
Antigua & Barbuda
Australia
Bahamas
Bangladesh
Barbados
Bermuda
Bhutan
Bophuthatswana
Botswana
British Virgin Islands
Brunei
Cayman Islands
Channel Islands
Ciskei
Cyprus
Dominica
Falkland Islands
Fiji
Grenada
Guyana
Hong Kong
India
Indonesia
Ireland
Jamaica
Japan
Kenya
Lesotho
Macau
Malawi
Malaysia
Malta
Mauritius
Montserrat
Mozambique
Namibia
Nepal
New Zealand
Pakistan
Papua New Guinea
St. Vincent & Grenadines
Seychelles
Sikkim
Singapore
Solomon Islands
Somalia
South Africa
Sri Lanka
St Kitts & Nevis
St. Helena
St. Lucia
Surinam
Swaziland
Tanzania
Thailand
Tonga
Trinidad and Tobago
Uganda
United Kingdom
US Virgin Islands
Venda
Zambia
Zimbabwe

I would say thats quite a lot of customers, especially with up and coming countries such as India in the list. At least 1.5 billion if not more. If they just made the effort to advertise effectively and make the G known, it would sell in RHD. They could probably increase sales by at least half as much again from this untapped market. The G would succeed much better now in the UK at least with the latest engines, especially with more and more people buying other 4x4's in mass such as RR's, Cayennes, Touaregs, X5's & M-Class's. People like variety and a chance to be different, plus its actually a good car! 461's could also have an impact too if the sold them through commercial/industrial channels the same as Vans, trucks and unimogs. They G is not a bad car at all, its just mercedes are clearly not as clever as they used to be in terms of marketing and seeing sales opportunities. The effort mercedes would use to do this would be well rewarded.

·
Registered
'05 G55K - Stolen; '87 560SL - Sold
469 Posts
Harald,

That article was from the United Arab Emirates. Have you seen the price of Oil recently. As oil goes up, the Oil producing countries will buy more luxury items, but the rest of the world will dump their gas guzzlers.

These are March's sales figure's from MBUSA:

G-CLASS 112 Mar 05 142 Mar 04 -21.1%; 284 YTD 05 419 YTD 04 -32.2%

... add to this that 2004 sales were WAY DOWN from 2003, and 2003 were WAY DOWN from 2002 [B)]

·
Registered
2013 G 63 AMG
327 Posts
TheDogsCar - 4/14/2005 5:48 PM

Harald,

That article was from the United Arab Emirates. Have you seen the price of Oil recently. As oil goes up, the Oil producing countries will buy more luxury items, but the rest of the world will dump their gas guzzlers.
That is true, but Dubai (one of the seven emirates that make up the United Arab Emirates) is now the third largest investor in DaimlerChrysler and is run by a person who is a big G-Wagen fan. The second largest investor is the government of Kuwait. Remember that one of the motivating factors for developing the G-Class in the first place was the request by the Shah of Iran for a light military attack/transport vehicle. The history of the G-Class has always had strong ties to this part of the world.

I really believe that the life span of the current passenger variant of the G-Class is limited no matter if the end is delayed by a year or two. We all agree it is inevitable, change is part of life. All we can hope is that this data along with other factors will encourage DC to not tarnish the G-Class "brand" with an unworthy successor. Either they should design and build a vehicle which inherits many of the current vehicles unique characteristics (capabilities and looks), or they should put the brand on ice for a while until they do produce something deserving of this name. This monstrosity that we've seen spy pictures of is just terrible.

Are you listening DC/MBUSA???

·
Registered
TJs, FJ40s, JGCs, G500
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first thought:

I wish I were a man with the marketable capability to offer the unfailable tools to auto makers to sell more cars next year.
My second thought:
If we keep defining progress by "more of everything", we are getting less quality of life - so lets see the positive changes coming out of crumbling sales figures.

Man, I am so thankful that I personally don't need much more than blue sky and green plants. If tomorrow cars should disappear like the dinosaurs - I'll start a nursery in La Paz.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 G500 (gone)
1,100 Posts
Pull a Donald Trump

I so badly want to pull a Donald Trump (point a finger and say, "you're fired!!") on some of those German Mercedes-Benz upper manage workers as well as some of those MBUSA folks.

I don't understand why they all persist to turn a blind eye and a deaf ear to our pleas. First off, they don't market the vehicle properly and then they wonder why their sales are down and why it's hurting them. They're just not listening (or caring) to the customer and buyer anymore.

The days of MB in the 1980's are long gone. This whole "New Mercedes" ideology will ultimately destroy the company if they continue to ignore their customer's needs and wants. Seriously though, how long does MB expect to profit on the Military G sales? How many wars need to be fought so that Mercedes can make it's money producing military G's?

Yes, the G is at the end of it's life. That's fine. But why they don't and won't offer a W461 Civilian G makes me very angry. Hummer still offers the H1 Alpha. If MB wants to sell a new G, I don't care. I just won't purchase it and I will disuade others from purchasing it.

Let Mercedes-Benz drown in it's own blood. [:(!] [:(!]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts