Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2004 S55 AMG (W220)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to this forum and to MB.

Roughly a month ago, I purchased a 2004 S55 AMG (W220). So far, I've been learning a lot about the car and already replaced a few parts successfully (ABC pump, Overhead Control Panel, and Passenger Seat Sensor)
So far, this site has provided a LOT of information to help me properly fix all those things. I even purchased a STAR C3 system with a 2015 version of Xentry.

However, I did get stuck on one thing... The TPMS sensors (all 4) are dead. I was quoted over $1000 to replace and reprogram. Simply NOT going to happen. None of my other cars have it, and I check pressures regularly.

I have already disabled TPMS in the CGW module as well as other locations. However, the error message and light are still on the Instrument Cluster.
I've tried to enter the ICM using Xentry, but it will not connect. Instead, it gives me an exclamation mark !
The ICM is the only module with the issue during a Quick Test. All the other modules can read and communicate just fine.

Seems like an issue between the ICM and the CAN bus, right? So I performed a Quick Test with my Autel scanner. All modules read fine. I can even read/erase codes in the ICM without issue (just can't change anything with the Autel). I think this shows the communication is fine. Also, my Instrument Panel works perfectly.

So, why would Xentry not be able to read the ICM? I'm a stumped.

Thanks for any help. I've been searching on this for many hours and haven't found anyone who had a similar issue.

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 S430
1,945 Posts
Xentry will give you the tips on the issue if you select the ICM and press F8 I think that is the right button, just look at the bottom of the screen and it will show you the key with a info symbol.

Dean

·
Registered
2004 S55 AMG (W220)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dean, I'll read what it says more carefully.
I recall it being something about checking the wires that communicate with the multiplexer.
I doubt it will point me to the real issue since my Autel can scan the ICM just fine. But it's worth a shot. Should have some time to review this weekend. I'll get back on the results.

Just curious - Has anybody successfully read the ICM (instrument cluster module) with a 2015 or newer version of Xentry and a C3 Multiplexer? On a W220 of course.

I asked a dealer if I could pay to have him disable my TPMS through the ICM. He said he's tried on at least 3 cars and it gives an error. He's not sure if Mercedes decided to block changes to the ICM for the latest software versions.

Thanks for the help so far

·
Outstanding Contributor
2002 S430
1,945 Posts
Look for an indy or someone else nearby that has an older version of DAS.

Dean

·
Premium Member
'02' S500 (W220)
588 Posts
Out of curiosity, did you get a dongle with your Star system? If so, make sure you plugged it in to your laptop/computer to initialize communication.

·
W220 Moderator
2006 S500
1,137 Posts
Running 7/2015 software on a C3. Can read any unit in my 06 W220 no problem.

·
Registered
2009 E350 4M Avant Garde, My Mistress 2002 S600, Wife 2014 C300 4M Avant Garde with AMG
1,072 Posts
You can get now after market TPMS sensors for around $150.00 a set

·
Registered
2004 S55 AMG (W220)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies!

I attached some screenshots of the error and how DAS gives suggestions to fix.
- Typical "Are you connected?" checks. I really doubt this is the problem. The software works great on every other module, just not ICM. Last night I enabled lock/unlock chirps (Netherlands) on the LF-SAM.
- K-Wire checks. My Autel works fine, so I think the K-Wire is good. But nothing else makes sense so far, so I'll pursue this.

Ex-Fed - thanks for your reply! I also have 7-29-2015 version. That clears up my concern on a software and/or C3 compatibility issue.

Does anyone have a source on those $150 sensor sets? I wrote down somewhere what the frequency is supposed to be in the US. Did a lot of research on this, but didn't find the $150 set.

BTW - I just went through a bad Suction Valve on the ABC pump. If anyone experiences good pressure (180-190 bar) at idle but still gets pressure supply errors and rodeo issues, check the Suction Valve. Mine would only open halfway. White error message - pressure - occurred just after startup.
Swapped it with a good valve, and it works better than ever! Only takes 10mins to change.
Just thought I'd mention it as I couldn't find this exact issue documented anywhere else. Even the ABC blog from 2014 Mercedes Benz ABC System Troubleshooting Guide

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 S55 AMG (W220)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
2004 S55 AMG (W220)
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Still not communicating. I've been waiting to find someone local (north of Milwaukee, WI) to try a different copy of STAR DAS.
I just can't bring myself to spend $300 on new sensors, something I don't even want. 7yrs from now the batteries will be dead and require another $300.
I'll post if I ever get it figured out. Please do the same if you get it.

·
Registered
2004 E55
624 Posts
Did you try installing your cluster in another s class to see if you can can communicate with it, I would try that first.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
541 Posts
The IC in the W220 uses a different protocol to communicate, and does not use the standard KWP2000 protocol. DAS will need to download the correct firmware to your mutiplexer or you will not be able to establish communication.

·
Registered
2001 CL500
4 Posts
The IC in the W220 uses a different protocol to communicate, and does not use the standard KWP2000 protocol. DAS will need to download the correct firmware to your mutiplexer or you will not be able to establish communication.
Hi TT, I have a 2001 CL500 (C215). I have Carsoft v12, can communicate to all modules except D2B. Do you have any suggestions what the problem could be. Thanks.

·
W221 & Audio Moderator
541 Posts
I can't say I have any experience with Carsoft. I know the W220 does communicate on a different protocol, and it sounds like Carsoft may not support that protocol. Does your ICM come on and appear to be functioning?

·
Registered
2001 CL500
4 Posts
I can't say I have any experience with Carsoft. I know the W220 does communicate on a different protocol, and it sounds like Carsoft may not support that protocol. Does your ICM come on and appear to be functioning?
It turns out the multiplexer did not put out a signal that is large enough. I modified the circuit and it is working fine now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts