Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
w163 ml
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all again i have just bought a bi-xenon headlight of ebay and its from germany it is the drivers side on a left hand drive ML will this make any difference or have i bought junk again as i always do.
Any help would be appreciated.
Iam from the UK

I bought 1 because i will wait for the other one to appear or buy from someone else,

Part Numer A163 820 5161 :

woz

·
Registered
497 Posts
woz - 3/15/2005 8:37 PM
Hi all again i have just bought a bi-xenon headlight of ebay and its from germany it is the drivers side on a left hand drive ML will this make any difference or have i bought junk again as i always do.
Any help would be appreciated.
I am from the UK
I bought 1 because i will wait for the other one to appear or buy from someone else,
Part Numer A163 820 5161 :
woz
I am also in the UK with right-hand drive bi-xenons, so you may be able to answer a question I have (as you now have a left hand drive bi-xenon).

When I remove the cover over the HID bulb (not the H7 driving lamp bulb), I see a lever which I can use to remove the raised portion of the dipped beam, i.e. the pattern changes from --\__ to _____; do you see such a lever in your lamp, or is this only present in right-hand drive bi-xenons?

If the lever is present in your lamp you can use it to make the dipped beam pattern from your left-hand drive bi-xenons acceptable for driving in the UK; there is so much light from bi-xenons that the missing raised portion is not a problem.

·
Registered
w163 ml
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
iam waiting for this item to be delivered, but i will keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
05 500
6,474 Posts
woz - 3/14/2005 7:05 PM

iam waiting for this item to be delivered, but i will keep you posted.
I hope you have the lever that marcelc just described, otherwise you'll have the wrong light pattern. The light pattern is a DOT spec in the US and there is a European spec also (I read this in the Bosch Auto manual). The reason for the "spike" on the right side (US) (besides blinding everyone else on the road) is for safety so you can see the curb if you have to perform some evasive maneouver. Whatever you do, to keep with the law, you want the spike to be on the curbside of the road. You'll notice that even in halogen equipped vehicles, the headlamp glare is biased towards the curb.

·
Registered
1999 ML 320
19 Posts
I also bought a left hand drive version from Germany and it fitted well, except I had to take it to Mercedes Chelsea for the parking light to wired up and the lights to be focused at £300.00 plus VAT.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts