Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Various!
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting a new thread........

It is impossible to alter the beam settings on the SLK xenons from under the bonnet.
There is no room whatsoever to cicumnavigate various items and reach into the unit after the rear cover has been removed (not even if your arms are made of rubber).

The only way in is to remove the wheelarch liner as per attached pics. It also helps if the wheel is off as well!

It took the mechanic 40 minutes (free ones as well!) to do both sides and check the alignment, so not really a job to be doing every time you channel-hop. I will leave mine set as they are now with a flat beam, then it won't matter which side of the road I am driving on, I won't dazzle anyone. The downside is that I have lost the extended section of beam that illuminates the verge.

The only time they will need to be done again is when the car is due an MOT.

Mick

Attachments

·
Registered
SLK350, CBR1000RR
367 Posts
Mick, exactly what gets adjusted / moved / whatever? I'm kinda assuming it's whatever the 'Open - Close' is referring to but I can't actually see anything that looks like it'll move (except maybe in the middle pic there is what looks like it could be the beginnings of a lever)

·
Registered
Various!
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you look at the bottom picture, to thr R/H side of the silver cover is a white plastic mounting bracket. Overlaying this you can see a black semi-circular thingy (technical term). This is a very flimsy lever that you turn to change the beam pattern.

Mick

·
Registered
SLK350, CBR1000RR
367 Posts
Hmmmm.. I'm wondering if the pic is 90degrees out?
Anyways, do you mean what I've circled in black? That looks like a bowden cable that ought to go to an actual adjustment lever or knob somewhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
Various!
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't get carried away Tim, they don't always...
No, the pics are oriented corrctly. Slightly over halfway down the R/H side of the silver cover there is a (nearly) black half-moon shape, showing above the white plastic bracket. That is the bit you twiddle (another technical term).

·
Registered
SLK350, CBR1000RR
367 Posts
'kin'ell! It's not exactly the most conspicuous of adjustment knobs is it!
Is the open/close indications on the opposite side of the metal doo-dah related to this tiny little knob? (knob is the wrong word, well it is if you're a bloke!)

·
Registered
Various!
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bloflin.......LOL

Probably the best place for one, filler cap under bonnet, long drinking straw up to cabin...[:D][:D][:D]

·
Registered
ML320CDI and ML320 CDI
126 Posts
I know you will not believe me, but I have adjusted Xenon lights as well. I do have large hands (UK size 9 1/2 [but I am not boasting][:D][:D]) and still managed to do the business.

That said, it is alot tighter than no-xenon'd cars, however, thanks for the photos as this applies equally well to both[:)][:)]

PS: You do not need to get them adjusted back since they now dip flat. As long as they do not dip right (ie the complete oposite of UK normal dip left) then you will pass the MOT since they do not blind on-coming drivers. You will, however, notice that they will not light up the verge anything like as good as you are used to.

·
Registered
SLK 350+ GSD350 CONV
102 Posts
BFGMercMan - 1/12/2006 9:23 AM

I know you will not believe me, but I have adjusted Xenon lights as well. I do have large hands (UK size 9 1/2 [but I am not boasting][:D][:D]) and still managed to do the business.
I believe you. Only thing is you have a 200 and there's more engine in the way in a 350.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts