Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2008 E350 AMG Sport Package, P2
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still own a C280, but I wanna install Xenon Lights. My question is if I wanna install the Xenon lights do I change the light bulbs or the whole headlight set? I never done this so any help or opinion.

Thanks

·
Registered
C Class (W203)
212 Posts
You can change the bulbs if you just want the "xenon look"...they are basically colored bulbs.

If you want the real "xenon" lights...you would have to purchase new housing and all. Much more expensive but looks much better.

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
2 ways: fake xenon and real xenon

Fake xenon: (blue bulbs) ... nah, looks cheap, IMO
Real xenon: way to go if you can afford.

If you want to keep the headlight assemblies and use the real xenon, you have to compromise the high-beam because the D2S/D2R bulbs only serve as either low or high-beam. If this option is chosen, you need to buy 2 D2R/D2S bulbs (35W), 2 ballasts, and 2 ignitors (if using the gen-4 ballasts).

Try to find a place (close to the head lights) to secure the ballasts (one on each side) and connect them as

power -> ballast -> ignitor -> bulb

·
Registered
2008 E350 AMG Sport Package, P2
505 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the information. Well I would really want the Real Xenon lights, I dont want it to look cheap. So where can I purchase them. I dont know any aftermarket companies that does them. The only one I know is Hoen. Im not sure if they the whole set. Does anyone know?

Thanks

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
lnkprksoldier - 3/29/2005 11:38 AM

so its impossible to have real xenon low beams and high beams on a 1987 300e ???[:(][:(][:(][:(][:(]
If MB offers both option, you can. I know S (W140) and SL (R129) classes offer such but not sure about W124.

You can, however, buy projectors to retrofit the headlights but it's not an easy job. Basically, you have to divide your headlight housing into 2 parts. If your original headlights already use different bulbs for low and high beam, it's much easier.

Just buy ballasts/ignitors/bulbs and convert it to xenon. I almost never use the high-beam.

·
Registered
SL500, CL55, E350, E320
3,205 Posts
v8mbp - 3/29/2005 12:12 PM

Thanks for the information. Well I would really want the Real Xenon lights, I dont want it to look cheap. So where can I purchase them. I dont know any aftermarket companies that does them. The only one I know is Hoen. Im not sure if they the whole set. Does anyone know?

Thanks
You can buy used stuff from ebay. Expect to pay around $300 for a set of (2 each) bulbs, ballasts, ignitors.

·
Registered
E320 W211
64 Posts
You can purchase a set of genuine Xenon light housing for C36 from MB for $1500-$2000. Or if you want to go cheap (and illegal), you can get xenon RETROFIT kits designed for H7 bulbs (assuming your C280 uses H7), which basically are D2S bulbs rebased with H7 fittings. These just replaces your bulb with xenon while maintaining the existing light housing. They go from $250 (cheap Chinese craps) to $500 (Philip ballast and bulbs). For the good stuff xenondepot dot com has them.

The installation will take you no more than 30 minutes. But be prepared to deal with the cops since they are illegal to be retrofitted. The problem is your halogen housing will scatter xenon lights all over and blind incoming traffics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts