Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2013 S350, 2008 GL320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced both Xenon bulbs in the stock HID lights for our 2001 E320. They were both working fine, just thought they weren't quite as bright as they should be. Now the driver's side bulb flashes on when your first turn on the headlights, then it goes out (after less than 1 second). If you turn headlights off then back on, sometimes it stays on.

What might be causing this? I tried installing a different bulb and it behaves the same. Is there an over-current sensor on the ballast that is getting weak?

Thanks.

David

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Have you owned the car since new?

Are these OEM parts you replaced with OEM parts?

If the answer to the first is no, then it's possible you're dealing with a spec mismatch.

·
W210 Moderator
99 E320
5,106 Posts
you've already tried swapping bulb and reported that the ailment manifested
itself.

next, swap the ballasts R-to-L and L-to-R. if the symptom has switched to
the opposite side (the passenger side light), then you've isolated it as a bad
ballast.

I think 2001 uses Hella gen3 ballasts. easily sourced on Ebay or HIDPlanet.com
used for about $100. buy from dealer and it'll be $400+ or so.

I must add that i find it odd that this only occurred after you replaced the bulb.
you sure you got all the connections down snug and secure? dbl check.

·
Registered
2013 S350, 2008 GL320
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. I am really careful about reconnecting the cable securely, etc.
So, I decided to put back in the Xenon bulb that was in the car when I bought it. It no longer does the flash thing. I have a feeling that the D2R bulbs I bought weren't as good as the OEM bulbs. I was figuring that any D2R would be as good as any other. Apparently not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts