Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a C240 and was thinking about adding the xenon headlamps to it. I was wondering if the xenon headlamps are worth the extra $850 or if I should just keep the halogens.<p>Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Halogens are fine by me, but others like the xenons.

Standard halogens are much brighter that any other car I've ever owned.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Xenon's are the type of option that once you get (m)

them, you'll always want them on your future cars. <p>I have them on my 330Ci (BMW) and to tell you the truth, it was the last option I decided to add and I am very happy I did.<p>They give off a very bright white light with an excellent pattern. One difference I noticed is the Xenon's have a much sharper cut off than Halogens which might take a little time to get used to.<p>I don't know if the Mercedes website has a comparison between the two but if you go to BMWNA's website, they have a little demo of both the regular headlights and the Xenon's. It will really give you a good idea of how much better Xenon's are.<p>It's not that the standard headlights aren't good, it's just that the Xenon's are Better.<br>If you are into the latest technology, this is one that is well worth the money.<p>BTW I have driven a relatives E320 on many occassions with the Xenon's and they are outstanding.<p>Good luck with your purchase ! !

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't like them at all

I find they are actually worse than regular headlights. They don't project as far and have an annoying abrupt cutoff.<br>I have felt this way for a long time. Finally I am seeing some of the automotive press point this out (see this month's Road and Track).<br>Plus, xenons unnecessarily call undue attention (from both the cops and the bad guys) to your car.<br>But, they are different, and for marketing, its always easy to "prove" that different (and more expensive) = better.<p>: them, you'll always want them on your future cars. <p>I have them on my 330Ci (BMW) and to tell you the truth, it was the last option I decided to add and I am very happy I did.<p>They give off a very bright white light with an excellent pattern. One difference I noticed is the Xenon's have a much sharper cut off than Halogens which might take a little time to get used to.<p>I don't know if the Mercedes website has a comparison between the two but if you go to BMWNA's website, they have a little demo of both the regular headlights and the Xenon's. It will really give you a good idea of how much better Xenon's are.<p>It's not that the standard headlights aren't good, it's just that the Xenon's are Better.<br>If you are into the latest technology, this is one that is well worth the money.<p>BTW I have driven a relatives E320 on many occassions with the Xenon's and they are outstanding.<p>Good luck with your purchase ! ! <p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: I don't like them at all

You are just used to the crappy DOT headlights that we get. The Xenons are European lights. So the beam pattern is much different, but better.<p>If the US will light their overhead signs, all cars could have these great lights.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't think so

I don't think the Xenons on the 2001 BMW 740i are "crappy DOT lights."<br>And I think those Xenons are vastly overrated.<br>Sure, they are different in color (that annoying blue color), but I just don't think they light the road any better.<br>I would take the standard headlights on my 2001 C over the Xenons any day.<p>: You are just used to the crappy DOT headlights that we get. The Xenons are European lights. So the beam pattern is much different, but better.<p>If the US will light their overhead signs, all cars could have these great lights.<p>

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed

I have the Xenons in my C320 and I agree with this - once you have them you will be addicted. I am!<br><p><br>Michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts