Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99 C43 with Xenon headlamps. The driver's side headlamp was out. I replaced the bulb. It came on, but stopped later that day. Sometimes when I turn on the headlights, it comes on. Sometimes it doesn't. So I figured it was the ballast. I talked to a local dealer who said that the "headlamp controller" was part of the whole headlamp assembly (big bucks for what I thought was just a bulb). Then I found something called a "headlight igniter" (P8014-97727) on a MB parts web site for about $100. Is that what I need?

·
Registered
CLK55/G500/E55/ML55/etc.
1,242 Posts
On the C43, the ballast/igniter are one assembly. Beware what the dealer finds describe...

On the C43, the ballast/igniter are one assembly. Beware what the dealer finds described in the EPC, as the descriptions are sometimes misleading (for instance a fog light bezel for my G500 had a different description for left and right: one was "bumper joint" and the other was "trim plate").

Your ballast/igniter is probably out on one side. If you want to experiment, find the ballast on the passenger side and pull it out (it's easiest to get to by removing the headlamp assembly). Unplug the ballast from the driver's headlamp, and plug in the passenger's. If it works continuously, this is probably the problem. You should get the part number for the driver's ballast (the driver's side ballast is accessible through the wheel weel flap). Go to the dealer and order this part. The part numbers are different for the two sides, but only because of the mounting bracket.

Here's a picture with the location of the ballast on the passenger side:

http://www.blancmange.com/scorchie/MBZ/HID/hid03.jpg

The driver side can be seen here:

http://www.blancmange.com/scorchie/MBZ/HID/hid10.jpg

Good luck.

-s-

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

Thanks for the detailed info. I haven't been able to get to it, but will this week. I wanted to see those pics but I haven't been able to get them to come up. Can you email them to me? [email protected]

Thanks again,
Garrett

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Used MB parts sources?

I switched them, but still had the same problem (on the same side). I talked to my local dealer and he said that they've never sold a ballast, but have often replace the headlight assembly when they have a problem with a Xenon headlight. I switched the headlamp assemblies and the problem followed the driver's side headlight. So it's definitely something inside the headlight. I haven't taken the assembly apart, but I'm guessing that I'm not going to be able to find any replaceable parts, which leads me to my next question. Where can I find a used driver's side headlamp assembly for a 1999 C43 with Xenon headlights?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts