Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I puchased a used set of W208 Xenon headlamps for my non-xenon CLK320. The shop that I took them to told me that they are not compatible, and that the car needed to be equipped w/ extra wiring for the xenons to work. All this time I thought they were just simply 'plug and play.' Any suggestions, or facts on why this is so?

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Did you get the ballasts as well ? If so, you should be able to plug it in.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure what ballasts are (I'm just a girl who does not know anything about my new CLK). All I know is that each lamp has a rectangular metal box attached on the bottom with wiring. It seems like the HID amplifier or something. Where can I get ballasts, and approximately how much do they go for?

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
The rectangular metal box are the ballasts. The wiring..

attached to it goes to the where the socket of your old low beams attach to. <br> <br> Bring it to another shop.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Re: The rectangular metal box are the ballasts. The wiring..

I guess I'll take it elsewhere. Thanks for your help Frank.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
CLKqueen, if you still need help!

you can call me @ 801-699-9786 and i will walk you through it. it's actually very simply, i just did my a S-class<br>

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Re: CLKqueen, will try to call you back @8 pm, sorry @ work:)

My GF initially posted up the message about her CLK and I just took over her inquiries still using her username CLKqueen...so I hope all you don't think I'm weird or anything...LOL. NEways...I give thanks to Frank and 2nd2n01 for their help and advice. I tried stopping by the shop but they were closed. Gonna have to go back tomorrow and see if I can take matters into my own hands.<br> Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Re: CLKqueen, if you still need help!

Hi!<br> I just bought a CLK320, 2002.<br> I was wondering if you know where I can get<br> 1. Xeon upgrade - which you talked about. How much was it? What do you need to do to get this working?<br> 2. Cold air Intake - besides renntech. These guys are way too expensive. Any other suggestions?<br> <br> Thank you kindly!<br> <br> Phil

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Re: CLKqueen, if you still need help!

Hi!<br> I just bought a CLK320, 2002.<br> I was wondering if you know where I can get<br> 1. Xeon upgrade - which you talked about. How much was it? What do you need to do to get this working?<br> 2. Cold air Intake - besides renntech. These guys are way too expensive. Any other suggestions?<br> <br> Thank you kindly!<br> <br> Phil

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Eureka the xenons work!!!!!!!! Just plug and play!! Thanks for all the advice...

The shop first told me they didn't work until I went over there to point out where the round headlight switch knob was. They wired everything fine...just that the mechanic was so 'Honda-minded' that he switched on the wipers to test the headlamps...what a [email protected]$$...LOL! Anyways...in regards to Phillip's question...my GF just got her CLK320 as well (only a month old). I don't know much about the CLK but my research for upgrades took me to RENNtech also, especially after my sis gave me her picture of the RENNtech CLK at the L.A. auto show. I also emailed RBtech about their CF intake systems, but I haven't gotten a reply yet. Besides those companies, I don't know who else makes nice intakes. As for the Xenon headlamps, I bought them used from a guy who posted a classified ad right here at mbnz.org. for $600. You might want to check out ebay too...there is a complete CLK Xenon headlamp set as we speak. If you're looking for NEW Xenons, I think www.autoclass.net has them for $998. However, I'm sure there are other CLK owners out there more knowledgeable than I am.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
CLK320 GRILL with the Mercedes LOGO - HELP!

Hi!<br> Do you know where I can get a grill for CLK320 with the logo in the centre of it? My dealership has one and its aftermarket. They want $400.00 for it. I know if i went directly to that company,i can save some money.. Anyone has any ideas? Thanks a lot!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Re: CLK320 GRILL with the Mercedes LOGO - HELP!

try autoclass... http://www.autoclass.net/catalog/mercedes/accessories/w208/exterior.html

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
RB intale

Warning about the RB Tech intake. It is nothing but a stock air box with Carbon Fiber overlaid. It's a joke.

·
Registered
2000 CLK Cabriolet, 02 ML320 Sport, 1997 BMW 328ic Cabriolet, 1965 Jetstar Convertible, 1988 Pulsar
211 Posts
how do you tell if you have factory xenons?

·
Registered
2000 CLK Cabriolet, 02 ML320 Sport, 1997 BMW 328ic Cabriolet, 1965 Jetstar Convertible, 1988 Pulsar
211 Posts
Factory Xenons WITH aftermarket halos?

I ordered the halos and one plug fits but the plug that goes to the turn signal does not so I am assuming I have xenons but need to make sure. The plug coming out of the new headlights but the one from mine into the new headlights has a different plug, on my bmw it was easy because I just used my factory lamp socket, but this is not the case here. help.

thanks,

Dennis

Attachments

·
Registered
211 Posts
update picture

here is a picture of the plugin on the back of my lights and in the lower left is the plug from my original headlights. Info on how to remedy this from someone who has encountered it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dennis

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2004 CLK 240 Coupe
11,383 Posts
Take great care when installing Xenons.. Note the Hazard! & Danger! warnings.

See from diagrams that apart from the lights, there are 2 ignition modules for each side. Not sure if the original covers will still fit.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts