Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, so we have had several threads recently asking how to tie cleanly into the cars power grid. Well it is very easy provided you have the X30 Accessory Power Block. This is located under the "Dead Mans Pedal" and is accessed by removing the two screws that hold the hood release bracket and the carpeting floor piece. Under there you will see a metal fastener on a plastic stud holding the DMP down. Remove that and the DMP cover comes off and under there you will see a rectangular box with wires being fed from the top, with a cover on it.

Now, not all 126's have the X30 power block. If your car is post '88, it will only have one if you have heated seats. So all 560's should have them and 420's that were ordered with heated seats. US 420's were not ordered with them so unless???

If you have the X30 though, you can tap into 4 separate power circuits as if you were wiring into the fuse box directly. But far more cleaner.

I discovered this when I bought my rear sun shade from Dr.Grillz early last year. It came with a harness and I looked up where it was supposed to go, and it said the X30 Block. Looked up where that was and saw that I had already used it to wire the +12 of my stereo the year before. But I only used a single pin bushing and no housing. So I lucked into it the year before.

I plugged the Sunshade harness into it, perfect fit of course, and then saw that all of the power was there including the lighting circuit. So I ended up re-wiring my stereo correctly. I still have a little more work to do when I open it up in a few months to change out my AC pods, but that will come. I intend to do a "Lighting Package" too.

Back to topic: So let's say that you have a high end stereo and you want to hook up the power side of things.

Here is the X-30 Block: (Sorry if it is a little blurry. Last year my camera was acting up. I will take a better pic soon)

As you can see there is a wire harness coming in at the top with 5 wires. Each wire connects at the top of the block to one column of pins. Each Row powers one accessory. There are 5 possible connection points, but only two are needed.

As you can see the middle set of pins is connected to a brown wire and as we know brown is the German universal ground wire color so that is ground. Here is a list of all of the pinouts:

Here is the breakdown of the X30 Accessory Block:

From left to right 1-5:

Pin 1 is from Fuse 15 - 8 AMP and is Hot at all times
Pin 2 is from Fuse 8 - 16 AMP and is Hot in Run or Start
Pin 3 is Ground
Pin 4 is from the Illumination and should not have a large load on it. Only to draw for low current lamps
Pin 5 is from Fuse 19 - 16 AMP and is Hot in Accy, Run or Start

Now, how do we connect to it?

Mercedes sells a connector and the P/N for the 5 pin accessory block connector: 013 545 32 28 - 4MM Pin Bushings: 002 545 30 26. The price for the pin block is $1.50ea and the pin bushings are a bit much at $1.38ea. But you are under $10.00 for the block and 5 bushings. The block is "Keyed" and has an "Up" arrow. The wires will exit to the left and you can see how the numbers line up with the pins. You can have a total of 5 of these connected to the block. Your heated seats will be one.

Okay, so we know where the power is and what to connect it with, so let's see an example: Let's say you bought a modern radio with all the bells and whistles, but no heavy motors powering screens and such.

Modern radios typically have 4 power requirements. The ground, +12 constant to retain the memory, +12 switched so the radio goes on and off with the key, and lighting input to dim or brighten depending on light switch position.

You would solder 4 pin bushings onto the harness, making sure you have enough length to make it to the DMP area, and put the ground wire in socket 3, the lighting in socket 4. The constant +12 goes into socket 1. Now for the switched lead you have two choices. Choice depends on the answer to this question: Do you want the radio to work in Accessory position? If Yes, then socket 5, if no then socket 2.

Now if you have a DVD/NAV type radio system like I do that has a NAV computer and Sat radio, blah blah blah you will probably need to run a DEDICATED 10 AMP 12 GA wire line for this power requirement. I know you have a 16 AMP fuse on circuit 19, but that is a high load bank already with the Sunroof and Heated seats and Ortho if you have that too. So if you have that type of system run a dedicated line. You will have to anyways for the AMPS if you have those. AMPS should be on AT LEAST a dedicated 20A circuit.

Pretty much anything that needs a reasonable amount of power can be connected in this way. High power loads should go directly to the battery with proper fusing and protection.

Also, DO NOT replace any of the factory fuses with a higher rating fuse if that circuit keeps blowing. You either have a short or a fault or are drawing too much current for that circuit. In that case, run a dedicated circuit.

I hope that answers some questions. If you have any, feel free to post them here.

·
Outstanding Contributor
1989 560SEC, 1989 560SEL, 1995 E420
4,458 Posts
Mclare,

How do you find time to help us all with this stuff when you're moving?!

Thanks a million.

Mike

·
Registered
W126 500 SEL 9/85 W124 E320T Brabus
2,068 Posts
Wonderfull write up, Mike!

As an addition - the X30 Accessory Power Block is mostly found in Gen II cars. As all the wiring harnesses in a 80ies Mercedes you can separate it and re-tool it in every car you want. All you need is a screw driver.

Open the fuse box, unscrew the three front screws and you can raise the baseplate. On the lower surface you see all the cross-notched screws. If the appropriate screws are solved, it continues under the dash board. The wiring harnesses are tied together with tapes. These gluings must be solved, in order to pull the wiring harness out. The re-tooling runs in the reverse way.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is a diagram I made up for the pin-outs on the X30 block.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here you go Nick. I restored the pics for you and all members.

A couple of things to add. Since writing this article, I have found that there is a 9 row version of the X30 for larger power requirements. They fit perfectly even though they are longer. It does require that you un-solder and then re-solder the wires at the top of the block and that can be a bit tricky if you are not good at technique.

I have a few spare 9 row X30's I think and also a lot of the connectors and pin bushings if anyone needs them.

·
Premium Member
300GD 5 dr 1987, W126 420SE, W126 560SE
1,676 Posts
Mike you always come through, thank you, I had to go and check and as I have heated seats I have a 9 slot X30 just behind the hood pull which is great news
I just need to go buy a few connector bars now
There definitely wasn't one in the parter car I would have seen that.

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you can't get them, LMK and I will send you some along with some of the pin bushings. Usually when I goto the yard, I snip a bunch off and throw them in my bag.

·
SuperModerator
1986/1990 W126
14,102 Posts
Cool. That X30 block had been very useful. Both my spares and my driver car had them, despite the driver car not having many powered extras originally. I wonder why some did and some didn't.

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,820 Posts
Hello gentlemen,

Would anyone have the part numbers of the X30 Accessory Power Block (as shown in mclare's post #1) and that of the 9 row version of the X30 (as discussed in mclare's post #6),

Thank you in advance,

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello gentlemen,

Would anyone have the part numbers of the X30 Accessory Power Block (as shown in mclare's post #1) and that of the 9 row version of the X30 (as discussed in mclare's post #6),

Thank you in advance,
9 Row X30 Block: 124 540 08 69
9 Row X30 Block Cover: 124 545 00 83

5 Row X30 Block: 126 540 00 69
5 Row X30 Block Cover: 124 545 00 03

5 Pin Molex block: 013 545 32 28

I have a 9 pin available (as pictured) if you need one. I can include a few of the 5 pin Molex blocks too. PM me if interested.

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,820 Posts
9 Row X30 Block: 124 540 08 69
9 Row X30 Block Cover: 124 545 00 83

5 Row X30 Block: 126 540 00 69
5 Row X30 Block Cover: 124 545 00 03

5 Pin Molex block: 013 545 32 28

I have a 9 pin available (as pictured) if you need one. I can include a few of the 5 pin Molex blocks too. PM me if interested.
Hello mclare,

:thumbsup: + :bowdown:, THANK YOU for the part numbers above, as they are a big help in doing a proper electrical job on our MB's.

I'll try to do some figuring out, what I need, with regards to the above parts, and will definitely email you.

·
Registered
1967 250 S (sold) 1986 560 SEC 1987 560 SL
1,308 Posts
Hi Mike-

Just as with your ACC pod write up of a few years back, the X30 info you provided is fabulous! Question: Is there one of these blocks anywhere in the engine compartment? (Just curious for possible future projects)

Gratefully,

John

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi Mike-

Just as with your ACC pod write up of a few years back, the X30 info you provided is fabulous! Question: Is there one of these blocks anywhere in the engine compartment? (Just curious for possible future projects)

Gratefully,

John
Nope, sorry.

·
Registered
560SEC
130 Posts
Mike,
Would you recommend getting a remote car starter kit for our cars? If so which one have you looked into that you like? And which brand would you recommend staying away from?
Thanks

·
Registered
1991 R129 500SL
1,820 Posts
Hi guys,

Anyone have a spare 9row X30 block (124 540 08 69) lying around? Willing to pay for it.
Thank you in advance :)

·
Premium Member
2012 CL550 4MATIC Coupe
9,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since you are in Cali, you can pretty much go to any import JY and snatch them out of most 126's. Take care when you take them apart though. I think I did a tutorial earlier in this thread. I use a chisel tip Xacto blade to pop the side tabs open.

You can get them new from any MB dealership, and I have a few spares. I also have a 9 gang block if you need one of those too. PM me if needed.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts