Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are 2 harnesses in the engine compartment that degrade that I am aware of. The main harness and the one that I'm referring to that only has a few wires.

On my Mercedes E320 wagon, I noticed the three wires are open and frayed, cracked near over the top of the oil filter. I applied liquid electrical tape as a temporary fix. I believed it is connected to the firewall x27 in front of the oil filter. I need to know what is the name and part number of this particular wire harness. The oil warning light cames on in the instrument panel cluster and goes away after awhile, like 10 minutes or so. In addition, on the instrument cluster panel, the oil pressure needle is sloppy around. I don't think it is the postive battery cable. I also researched the issue and found out that in addition to the main wire harness that is part of the infamous biogradeable harness, that particular wire harness is also subjected to the biogradeable issues as well. Does this particular wire harness goes to the oil sender unit/sensor as well as the oil pressure unit?. I don't know if I have to replace the oil level sender, part number 124-542-00-17 and/or Sender Unit Oil Pressure Sensor 0065429417.
Can anyone shed a light or two on this issue?

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
It's the lower engine harness. Easy enough to make up and instal yourself, I did it for my R129 on the kitchen table and I'm a bit of a numpty.

As I'm LHD mine may be slightly different but it has oil level, oil pressure, starter motor. Another wire from the same connector goes through a different harness to the alternator but this seems okay.

Also worth checking your A/C fan harness.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Richard F. thanks for responding back.
I can't seem to find the correct name and part number for the issue I am having on my 1994 Mercedes E320 wagon. I came up with all sorts of part names:
lower engine harness, cable engine harness, starter harness, transmission harness, positive battery harness. Which one is the correct name and if possible, part number as well that relates to my issue? Comments, anyone?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trevor Hadlington thanks for responding. No, I don't have a camera to take a picture of the 3 wires near the oil filter.

·
Premium Member
6,723 Posts
whats the VIN of this car, all part numbers in the EPC (electronic parts catalog) are by VIN

my US model 94 E320 wagon, this harness was bad at the oil pressure sender near the oil filter, I just spliced on some new wire there, soldered the original connector plug, and its been fine for the past 3-4 years since.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Lower engine harness, your dealer will be able to provide a p/n....................for £ssssss

It can be made up for the cost of a some wire, solder and shrink wrap. A spark's will do the job in an hour, if you don't fancy having a go.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LeftCoastGeek. Thanks for responding. I knew you would know exactly what I am talking about. I am not too crazy about soldering some wires when I can get a replacement harness. Do it right and correctly the first time and won't have to deal with this issue again (at least not for awhile). Can you tell me EXACTLY the wire harness name and part number related to my issue? Thanks.

My VIN is WDBEA92E1RF277278

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Richard F. Thanks for responding back in your last post. LIke I wrote earlier, I prefer to replace the wire harness instead of doing a wire soldering job. Do it right and correctly the first time and not to deal this issue again (at least for awhile).

·
Premium Member
6,723 Posts
LeftCoastGeek. Thanks for responding. I knew you would know exactly what I am talking about. I am not too crazy about soldering some wires when I can get a replacement harness. Do it right and correctly the first time and won't have to deal with this issue again (at least not for awhile). Can you tell me EXACTLY the wire harness name and part number related to my issue? Thanks.

My VIN is WDBEA92E1RF277278
oh, and what part of the world are you in? you really should add that to your profile, don't need to be super specific, but state and/or province and/or country is helpful for offering help.

anyways, that appears to be a US model 124.092, and I believe the lower harness is 1245404230, noting that harness includes the battery positive clamp, positive wire to X4/10 (positive terminal right next to battery), main power to the starter motor, and the couple odd oil pressure/level senders. In the EPC, its called the POSITIVE CABLE. note too, this part number superceded an earlier 1245403530

the main positive wire almost never fails, its just that oil pressure/level sender wires that fail, and they are both really easy to solder new wires to, anyone who's got a small soldering iron, lead-tin rosin core solder, and some basic electronic tools should be able to replace those two wires in a jiff.

there's a picture of this harness here, https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-mercedes-benz-parts/positive-battery-cable-priced-each/1245404230/

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LeftCoastGeek, Thank you so very much for your last post. I knew it would be something like the postive battery cable replacement but I was unsure due to lack of wiring on picture related to the three wires I am having issue with. Are you sure this is the correct part name and number 1245404230? Just double checking. By the way, as you wanted to know, I live in Tennesse and moved there from California, my home state. I also have TWO 1994 Mercedes E320 wagons.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked the Starter & Alternator Harness Replacement on 1994 E320, part number 1245404230, on different automotive parts websites to verify and confirm that is correct part. Thank you all for posting and reading this thread.

·
Premium Member
6,723 Posts
Will this harness work on a 1992 300ce, looks the same
Mfg Part #1245404230
Thx
EPC says thats the harness for engine 104.992 and 104.942. basically 1993+ 3.2L and 2.8L.

afaik, you have a 124.051, which engine 104.980 (the 3.0L CIS-E M104), and that uses positive cable 124-540-14-30 per EPC.

no, I don't know what the differences are.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
LeftCoastGeek
Mercedes-Benz Forum
BenzWorld.org forum is one of the largest Mercedes-Benz owner websites offering the most comprehensive collection of Mercedes-Benz information anywhere in the world. The site includes MB Forums, News, Galleries, Publications, Classifieds, Events and much more!
Full Forum Listing