Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2011 E350 Bluetec
41 Posts
In continuation to my prior post, I discovered some new bit of information that was quite a surprise...definitely unexpected. During lunch today, I spent a few minutes researching other possible problems that come up with the DEF tank, DEF heater, DEF pump... you get the idea... I was surprised to come across a YouTube video explaining that Diesel Exhaust Fluid has a shelf life and that the life span of it depends on the temperature in which the container is kept. If I remember correctly, it can range from 3 years to 6 months and that the hotter the temperature the shorter the lifespan. The video continued to explain how to determine when a container of DEF was manufactured and determine if it's still good but, quite frankly, I was really surprised. I never thought this stuff would go bad unless you open it and left it open to start crystallizing. I definitely never noticed the numbers on the Peak DEF box. I came home today and went straight to the container I have... I think mine was ok...? My numbers did not look the same as what was described in the video. If anyone has more knowledge on DEF and whether this is true or not, I would like to hear more. I am still a bit skeptical but definitely would not want to test out bad DEF. Then again, I may have already cycled through some bad DEF and is the reason why I am going through my current problems.

I also came across a video of a Dodge 2500 Cummins owner with similar issues as what I am having. He took his truck to the dealership where they dropped the DEF tank and cleaned it out. He indicated it took them 3 days... guess I know what I will be doing... I think I might be able to do it in 2. I believe most of my time will be in waiting for the inside of the tank to dry.

21 - 21 of 21 Posts