Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2012 GL350 BlueTec. This is my first MB, and was supposed to be my first "non-beater" car. I drove 500+ miles for this particular vehicle- it has 77,xxx miles. I looked over the Carfax and Autocheck history- all maintenance was listed when it was due. When I arrived at the dealership, it was obvious there was a problem with the Airmatic system, which the dealer promised to fix (he did not fix it, only aired it up and reset the error.)

While driving the 500+ miles home, the Airmatic shock failed on the passenger front side, and about 100 miles from home the dreaded CEL appeared. I have fixed the airshock, and have been tirelessly trying to figure out the CEL. I am not a mechanic (I'm the researcher), but my BF is very mechanically inclined (shade tree mechanic), and we have an indy mechanic.

The error code from a generic reader stated a P2BAD error. After lots of research, we came to the conclusion that since the car sat for over 6 months, and its previous two services had not been at a MB service center.....possibly the AdBlue needed replaced. We emptied the tank and refilled with all new. Additionally, we purchased a MB II V2.0 scanner. The fault code is 106100: The upper limit value for long-term adaptation of the SCR exhaust aftertreatment system was exceeded. This is the ONLY current fault code in the whole system.

Thinking that maybe the DPF needed a regen, we reset the CEL light and went for an hour and half drive on the interstate last night. The CEL stayed off. This morning, while backing out of my driveway, the CEL is back. Ran another scan, 106100 is still the only current fault code. I want to love my Mercedes, but its hard with that dern CEL on! I am middle-aged, have never had a car payment until now (all beaters!)....my children are raised, my house is paid for...this car was supposed to be my "reward" and now I am concerned I have a beautiful money pit with a car payment instead.

I have been reading the forums for days, and there has been a lot of useful information, but today I can't seem to find what I had read previously, which could have been at a different forum. I apologize if I have put this in the wrong category.

Can anyone advise me what I should do next? Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
35,910 Posts
You are not giving the code description, but general advise I would give you is get ScanGauge and program X gauges for your vehicle in it (suppose when you order SG from manufacturer they can preload the X).
This way you can monitor DPF soot%, regeneration status, DEF level and more, so you don't drive blindly 100 miles for nothing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Isn't "
106100: The upper limit value for long-term adaptation of the SCR exhaust aftertreatment system was exceeded." the code description? On the OBD II, the error code was "P2BAD: Oxides of Nitrogen Exceedance- Root cause unknown" These two codes together is what led us to believe the AdBlue was degraded....

·
Registered
35,910 Posts
With new technology we always will have learning curve and I had code on my Bluetec, that only explanation on the net was on .... Ford truck forum.
So noticing this is hobbyist forum, you have to take new technology advise with grain of salt and if you want good expertise, you'll need to see a dealer, although I read reports, that with new technology dealers tends to drop parts blindfolded as well. But they do have access to database, that we don't .
I can only make "educated guess" that the SCR treatment, beside DEF system also include ox sensors and who knows what else. But without scanner who can read live data on those sensors, it is impossible to pinpoint the issue. Ox sensors are not cheap and require SCN coding, so dropping them just in case is not good option.
Bottom line, if you don't have scanner who can read the data, you are at the mercy of dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please verify that I am understanding you correctly......I purchased the wrong diagnostic tool to obtain the information I need to determine the reason for the CEL?

·
Registered
35,910 Posts
There are several levels of scanners on the market.
-$3 can buy bluetooth plug, who will read emission codes and give you basic live data
- $150 can buy you MB-oriented scanner who will read brand codes and give more advanced data with possible calibrations.
-MB dealers use so-called Star Diagnosis, who cost in excess of $20,000 + hefty subscription for accessing Stuttgart database.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I spent hours investigating scanners, and thought I purchased a decent one, obviously not THE BEST (according to forums both here and MBWorld).

And I feel like an idiot, but I have no idea what you are trying to tell me. The MBII V2.0 has live feed data, so shouldn't I be able to monitor the DPF regen, the soot%, the NOX sensors, and more with the scanner I have?

I have priced the NOX sensors, and as you stated- they are not cheap- and need SCN coding that my indy mechanic cannot do. If that is what is needed, then of course I will pay the stealership for the repairs. But I have read so many bad reviews of our local MB service centers replacing parts to guess at a fix that it scares me, many times their "fix" not working the first time resulting in parts being replaced that most likely did not need replaced. I would like to try to eliminate every simple fix it could be before I bite that bullet.

Not being a mechanic, from what I can gather from online information (numerous sources, not just one)…..since there is only one fault code, it is most likely one of three problems:
-System is not getting enough DEF, so nitrogen oxides being emitted are higher than spec (Could be clogged nozzle or bad pump- pump would most likely throw another fault code)
-Bad gas/oil/DEF (using only ULSD, immediately changed oil upon arriving home from 500+ mile drive, pumped DEF tank and refilled)
-Nox Sensors (cleaning may help, but most likely need replaced) QUESTION: Wouldn't the NOX sensors throw their own fault code if they were bad? There are no fault codes listed in the SCR module, the fault code shows in the ECM module.

Thanks for taking the time to read and for your input. :)

·
Registered
35,910 Posts
The MBII V2.0 has live feed data, so shouldn't I be able to monitor the DPF regen, the soot%, the NOX sensors, and more with the scanner I have?
Can you?
Finding proper calibration for DEF dozing might be another issue, but if you can read it, that would be good start.
Here is another thing to check.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just a side note....took car to a mechanic, he ran diagnostic and came back to emissions. The vehicle is still under its original 8/80,000 emissions warranty. So I stopped him from doing any further investigating, and scheduled service at dealership, telling them I believed it would be warranty work. After hearing so many good things about Mercedes outstanding customer service, I have to say how rudely the dealership treats you. I was informed the warranty period is 4 years, 50,000 so my vehicle was definitely OUT of warranty. Don't they know their own warranty? When I informed him the emissions warranty is much longer, he told me it wasn't an emissions problem. They haven't even looked at my car, so how would they know? I can already tell it will be a fight to get anything done under the emissions warranty. And this was the second dealership...the first dealership - I went in to make an appointment, thinking maybe I could get it seen immediately- its a CHECK ENGINE LIGHT for goodness sakes....appointment a week away at both dealerships. While sitting at their desks I was informed the emissions warranty ONLY covers the CAT. I insisted he look that up because I had read differently, he read to me from his screen that the Nox sensor was indeed covered. When I called him back 3 hours later - I again mentioned I believed this would fall under my warranty. Again, I was informed the emissions warranty only covers the CAT. I reminded him that we had discovered differently just a few hours ago in his cubicle with other employees present, when he had told me that many emission related parts were covered. He informed me, very rudely, that he had definitely said no such thing since the parts are not covered and he would not have said otherwise.

Just wow. When I call MBUSA, they are extremely helpful and polite. My previous dealership (not a MB dealership) was respectful, polite, helpful. Every service advisor I have spoken with at my local MB dealerships has been rude, uninformed, combative, and disrespectful. I'll take notes during my experience and leave appropriate feedback with MBUSA, and every place I can leave a review. I am a business manager, I am professional in all of my contacts. There was no reason for their behavior. They need to take classes in customer relations and learn about their own products.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts