Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Caspian Blue 2005
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recieved the following email.... now why on earth would they need the VIN number to the car do you think?

They make it sound like a one size fits all for all cars, all makes and models. Sounds fishy to me.

Reminds me of when I started to question the existance of Santa and the Easter bunny. I knew it was too good to be true and yet I held out until the bitter end in hopes it would be real.

=)

------------------------
You receive this email because you've got a vario-roof module on backorder.

We are happy to inform you that almost all backordered items have been processed by now and the last few, which include your order, are on their way to us from our factory in china.

On arrival your module needs to tested, programmed and tested again before it will be packed and shipped out to you.

you will receive another email once that has happened.

In the meantime we need your chassis (VIN) number to program your module so it will work in your car. please provide this number to us within the next 14 days to avoid any delays in programming your device. many thanks for that in advance.

Your module is updateable which means that, as soon as we release any software updates or new configuartion options, you'll be able to get it updated through our distributors. Also this will allow to use the module in other cars, makes or models.

many thanks for your patience in the past and kind regards

r171.co.uk sales

·
Registered
Mercedes SL350 2009
692 Posts
I have been there. It is based from a small flat in central london

·
Registered
SLK350, BMW K1200LT
808 Posts
I thought it is a bit sus asking for the VIN no. - I haven't done it yet, but, as many cars actually have it on display, in the bottom corner of the windshield, does anyone think it will be a problem sending it to them ???

The other thing that puzzled me was in their last email, they say they have most of the back orders satisfied now.... I (and several other people) paid over 5 months ago, and I'm still waiting to see a post on the forum to say that someone has actually received one. I have written off the money, If I received one, after all this chew, I would be very wary about fitting it, just in case it screws up other electronic bits. I don't want to be a guinea pig (its too much fun being a sheep[8)][8)]) I thought Frank(?) the moderator of this forum was gonna give us a definative answer to all of our worries - presumably, he is one of the people tking money off R171.co.uk as a sponsor - whats going on?????????????????????????????????????
??????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
SLK 350 due 03/05
90 Posts
Storm, As aqua says he has met the guy and mentioned in many previous posts.

Wolley, As I have said in many previous posts the r171.co.uk seems to be a lot of smoking mirrors presented by one or a few guys that like to portray a bigger business. For example they have previously claimed their ineffciency to communicate effectivly is due to the sheer size of the business.

So poor excuses, disregard for trading laws aside, eventually I belive we will get our roof modules.

As someone said hopefully delivery will be April this year!

As for the VIN, I can't think of any fradulant use for this data especially as its recorded on many databases available to insurance companies, the police, and vehicle related businesses. It's more likley related to a handshake with the control unit for the cars electronics - this is the scary bit, I am going to fit a componant made in a chinese factory to my £40k car - just perhaps they get it wrong, and the last widget production was for the sony AIBO, my car may start barking!

·
Registered
Mercedes SL350 2009
692 Posts
I would say i think they are ok but after still waiting 9 weeks for my amg Aerial despite two promises it has been despatched (any now no replies to my e-mails) i am losing my patience with them. The least they coudl do is be honest!

·
Registered
SLK 350
49 Posts
contrary to the masses, i have had positive experiences with them.

they replied to all my emails within one day and effectively addressed me questions/concerns. the only problem is they are not very polite, but they do answer my questions.

i ordered amg rear spoiler and amg tailights from them. recieve all within 1 month in pristine condition shipped from the AMG factory. the mods r now fitted on my car and looks great.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts