Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put about 4 gallons of WVO in my tank last night and filled up with diesel. I didn't make it two miles before my prefilter was clogged, however, now that I replaced my filter the engine sounds like a gasser. I can't believe how smooth and quiet it runs, and the exhaust smells like burnt hamburgers.

A

·
0 Posts
im sure it was previously mentioned......but, what type of filtration would be neccessary to do the wvo, before filling it in? could i just rig a pump thing to a excellent oil filter, and pump it through, with a prefilter also, or what?

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only particulate matter you'll find in WVO is food particles. All you have to do is pour the oil over cheesecloth, if you wanted to get technical, you could make a filter out of 4" PVC pipe stuffed with cheesecloth. You would just need to use reducers on each end to achieve whatever diameter you needed to connect to your pump, and you could even pump it straight through the filter into your tank

·
Registered
Runs
89 Posts
Stevenpfaff - 4/23/2005 4:20 PM

The only particulate matter you'll find in WVO is food particles. All you have to do is pour the oil over cheesecloth, if you wanted to get technical, you could make a filter out of 4" PVC pipe stuffed with cheesecloth. You would just need to use reducers on each end to achieve whatever diameter you needed to connect to your pump, and you could even pump it straight through the filter into your tank
There may be more to this story. Food particles are only one of the ways that WVO will clog filters. You may want to run some searches.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=frm&f=159605551

·
Registered
Benzless for now...
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MetaPhysicalPajamas - 4/24/2005 9:29 AM

Stevenpfaff - 4/23/2005 4:20 PM

There may be more to this story. Food particles are only one of the ways that WVO will clog filters. You may want to run some searches.

I've done months of research on WVO and biodiesel. I'm not worried about my filters being clogged, I know they will until the WVO dissolves all the nastyness that the diesel fuel has left behind over the last 23 years and 200k miles. I was instructing somebody else on how to filter their oil in preparation to use it as fuel.

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=frm&f=159605551

·
Registered
'81 300TD Turbo
416 Posts
I've been running a gallon of fresh veggie oil per tank and even that seems to make a difference. I think I might try 3 or 4 gallons this week and see how it does.

I've been buying it in 35lb containers for about $13, but soon I'm going to search out a cheaper source and start getting canola oil. The stuff I've been using is soybean oil, which is what 95% of the cooking oils in the stores are made of.

Even at what I'm paying now, the cost isn't that much more than diesel per gallon in my area. If I can get it cheap enough so that cost is about the same as diesel (one of my customers is a restaurant supplier) I may just run the fresh stuff, if for no other reason than it runs smoother using it as an additive.

Don't have the time to get into brewing my own.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts