Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
What do you feel about people who buy a w123 to save it AS WELL as convert it. People thinking that their contribution, which will only have a .0002% effect, will never make a difference is the root of most problems in society, environment aside. If one person feels this apathy, that's one thing. BUT, for every one person who thinks this, there are 3 million that think the same thing. If everyone actually, god forbid, exerted some energy into causes they felt stronger about, most situations would be better. (More people vote for American Idol than for the President, yet people don't vote for the President cause they don't think their vote will make a difference).

I hate apathy.

ANYWAY. I just bought a 1984 w123 300D-T, and I am very much in the process of saving it. No cars of mine have, are, or will ever be junk cars. This car will be with me for a long time, and I intend on keeping it up. I am converting it to WVO to make that difference. I'm sick of supporting oil companies and their evil shitestorms. I don't buy from large corporations for the same reason. There are a lot of evil bastards with too much money, and not enough of that money is invested into local communities. WVO may not be supporting local businesses, but buying gas from ExxonMobil is not the only alternative. Probably the worst alternative.

That's my 2cents.
Hello,
I’m 16 and finally saved up enough to finally buy myself a 1985 300TD. I drove it home 500 miles yesterday. My plan has been to convert it to run on veggie. Will that harm the engine? I was under the impression that it actually helped it.

·
Registered
'86 W123 200, OM617 non-turbo, bastard 5-speed; '95 W202 C250 Diesel, OM605 non-turbo, 5-spd man
4,275 Posts
Firstly, don't resurrect a 13-year old thread.

Secondly, these engines were not designed to run on vegetable oil, so you will destroy it one way or another. The pump clearances are so small and precise that it requires specific lubricity requirements, which diesel is formulated to own; vegetable oil - and especially waste veg oil - has either the wrong or no lubricity at all (don't confuse "lubricity" with "viscosity").

·
Banned
144 Posts
Will that harm the engine? I was under the impression that it actually helped it.
No. Vegetable oil is not a fuel, it is harmful to the engine and fuel system.
Thousands of cars have been prematurely destroyed by people "converting" them to vegetable oil. Even in warm climates like California and Florida.

·
Registered
1980 280E Sedan
42 Posts
Firstly, welcome to the forum and the W123 world. Good to see a youngster like yourself enthusiastic enough to take on and (hopefully) preserve one of these great cars.

Secondly, asking questions about your car and taking time to research the forum for guidance is commendable, even if this is an old thread, it's the best way to learn.

As for Wvo, well we don't use it in this country, however the experience of others owners will be invaluable.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts