Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am go to change radiator fluid for my '99 ML 430 can anyone help me with instruction on how to do it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
How long you had your 430? and how many miles do you currently have on it? Just courious as I've got same year and model and I just went over 90,000.

·
Registered
10' CX-9 GT-AWD, 03' e39, 98' ML (gone but not forgotten)
433 Posts
just pull the lower radiator hose and drain out the coolant. When done, reattach the hose and fill with fresh coolant. this is how the dealer does it.

edited 5/22: I must add, have a large bucket ready or your garage will be slimy. Also the expansion tank cap needs to be removed, make sure the coolant is cooled off or you will get burned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks supradupefor the instruction.I only have 36000 miles on my Ml,my wife is the one who drives it.

·
Registered
1998 ML 320
207 Posts
Are you serious?!
Thats Crazy!
I thought there was a bolt behind radiator on fuse side of car?

aa

·
Registered
10' CX-9 GT-AWD, 03' e39, 98' ML (gone but not forgotten)
433 Posts
There is a small valve on the passenger side front end of the radiator, not easy to reach. What I described is what dealer mechanic told me and it matches the WIS instructions. They don't do flushes, just drain and refill. There will always have a portion of old fluid remain in the engine block. If one is anal about getting rid of that last quart of old fluid inside the engine block, there is another drain valve on the passenger side of the engine block roughly under the 2nd spark plug. You will have to pull the wheel liner to get at it, not to mention jack up the vehicle and take off the front left wheel. If your coolant is changed regularly, I don't see that it matters with the residual coolant remained in the engine block.

·
Registered
ML 230 The real Benz World Junior, GMC Sierra 400hp Nitro, Opel Commodore B Coupe 1001hp.
132 Posts
Just changet the rad fluid today and went with the lover radiator hose variant.
Flushed a couple of liters while the hose was off just to feel good.
Don`t se the big deal as long as recommended intervals are folowed.
Unless of coarse your fluid is really bad.

·
Registered
1998 ML 320
207 Posts
That's cool...will probably procede to disconnect through hose -easier
Just did my plugs yesterday -will probably do the coolant next weekend
Thanks for the replies!

Disconnected the lower hose and flushed out the radiator fluid with water
All the coolant just drained right out with no problems -take off the cap
Re-filled with MBZ pre-mixed coolant (2 gallons)
Let the car run for 15-20 minute for the coolant to circulate
Ride the car to the gas station and re-fill with more coolant if needed
Dont worry about the bleeding it out -the system self bleeds by itself
Whole process took less than 45 minutes!

aa

1 - 8 of 8 Posts