Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 300E
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
91 300E. when going at 150-180+km/h and letting the gas go and coasting, there is a noticable whistleiling/ whining sound. i dont think its the wind, what do you think it could be. also is not all the time, its interrmittint

·
Registered
1993 300e 2.8
208 Posts
where is the whistling sound coming from? The engine? The wheels?

·
Registered
Mercedes-Benz
2,245 Posts
Could it be the differential?
Do you know if the sound comes from the engine bay, transmission or from the rear of the car?

·
Registered
95 E320 Coupe, 11 E350 4Matic P2
1,082 Posts
hehe sorry but from your poor description of the sound it could be the birds outside it is spring.

·
Registered
Mercedes E200 black. Mercedes 300ce - sold.
761 Posts
could also be interference feeding back through your stereo speakers, my corrado used to whine sometimes!!

·
Registered
1991 Mercedes 300E
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not wheels and not the sterio as i put my summer wheels and tires on last week same thing happened before and after and the sterio was off when i last checked. also you hear it from the driver seat. it might be from the engine, but i cant be sure. it cant really be pin pointed to a specific spot. but its definatly not those 2 things. so im not really sue what my next step is...

·
Premium Member
About a dozen 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1991 sedans, wagons, 4Matics and 1 coupe
5,510 Posts
Vacuum leak? Engine manifold vacuum goes way up during decel. Did 91s still have the economy meter in the cluster? If so is it behaving normally? Otherwise a vacuum leak could come from a brake booster or climate control system tubing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts