Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2001 SLK 320(217K Miles), 2002 E320 Special Edition(183K Miles)
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my papers for the bi-annual smog check on my SLK320 last week and it was marked "Certification required at a Test only" station. :mad:
Looking at the California DMV website, it states that this is vehicles which either (1) exceed at least one of the gross polluter standards (twice the maximum emission limits) or (2) Vehicles selected from the High Emitter Profile (HEP) database which have a high probability of failing the Smog Check inspection.

Now my car had never failed a SMOG test, so yesterday I took it in for the test. Passed with flying colors with most measures less than 2% of the maximum and about 8 times better than the average (where detectable) . I was a bit disappointed in the CO reading at idle. It registered 0.03% vs the 1.0% allowed max at idle, but at least it dropped to 0% at 2,500 rpm. ;) Oh well, maybe I'll take it for a proper warm-up drive before I take it in two years from now.

I don't know if there is maybe an age factor which is not stated in the DMV website, since my 2002 E320, which is due next month, just received a normal SMOG renewal notice. Not that it matters, since I always go to a test-only station.

So I don't know whether I should feel insulted, worried or just ascribe it to California government/DMV ineptitude. :surrender:

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
I would bet it's the latter category, the "check inspections" because the SLK is a popular car for mods, so it's likely a statistically unusual number of them have been illegally modified with missing cats, reprogrammed ECUs and homegrown "cold air" intakes. Thus if you own an SLK it gets the focused inspection to be sure it's not been tampered with (so no generic cats on that one!).

Of course that's just my guess. You could file an FOIA request with CARB to find out more...but likely that would invite additional scrutiny. ;)

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess I'll just let sleeping dogs lay. ;)

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,720 Posts
10 years ago on Italian freeway I was following Audi TT at 180kph. Took me several kilometers to notice small badge on the trunk saying "cdi".

·
Registered
99 E430, 01 E430 Sport, 00 SL500
3,266 Posts
>>WTF - The M112 engine classified as "Gross polluter"???

Smaller, lighter car producing the same amount of pollutants as bigger, heavier car --> Gross!

·
Registered
2001-W210-CAPRI METALIC BLUE-/ 2002-W210 E300D
908 Posts
Please.... Don't get me started....

The government specs, both state and federal, were set to sell american cars and keep foreign cars off the market.
Not only pollution but mpg and hp rankings for all MB are waaaaaaaay off, this done for the above reason.
There is nothing we can do, and MB has decided not to play in their sand box.
I know my car is cleaner, faster, and more fuel efficient than any American counterpart, maybe in 10 years ( when the patents run) somebody in Detroit will be smart enough and care enough to copy this ( but I doubt it ), until then, it's our little secret.

OH MY GOD,,,,,, you got me started..

B

·
Registered
E320/E250 Bluetec Ford F350 6.7l
36,720 Posts
10 years is long time, but I am pretty sure it was cdi. I drove Ford Focus SW with 1.9 cdi engine. My GPS showed 242 kph going down from Alps. Don't think it was a polluter neither. I reved the engine high on cold and there was no single puff from the tailpipe.

·
Registered
'01-E320 & 02-ST2
31,631 Posts
Coincidentally, yesterday I saw an R171 with the M112 engine with one of the *special* CARB month stickers on the window...so it's one of the gross ones.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And I took my E320 yesterday for its smog - and the measurements were (as expected) identical with my SLK320. :thumbsup:
I guess the SLK rating reflecs more on some of the owners than on the engine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts