Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Rubicon Unlimited (Let the shame be upon me!)
3,827 Posts
Doesn't look too bad. The colors can always be changed. That looks like a case deck & ROPS/FOPS system.

Rail mogs need serious air supply to disengage the rail car brakes which in this case, hauling the 8 cars, would be on the order of 64 brake chambers that would need to be charged. That might be a heat exchanger for a hydraulic driven compressor.

·
Unimog Moderator
250GD Wolf
13,267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ah, yeah it looks in good shape, needs a repaint ;) Might be a good project mog for someone in the Boston area. 20speed and FOPS, I assume it would have hydralics as well to raise and lower those heavy wheels.

·
Registered
'78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
3,417 Posts
Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) in San Fran had a number of those.
They worked underground.

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,627 Posts
Painted to match the rest of the fleet of Providence and Worcester Railroad Company. It should be at my shop tomorrow and parted out this coming week. If you see something you need just let me know.

Attachments

·
Registered
160 Posts
Why are you going to part it out?

Is there something wrong with it? The Add was deleted before I could read it...

It would just be sad to see a decent little mog parted out if it could have been fixed up... Especially for that price.

·
Registered
mogless, except for my friends MB4-94. And a bunch of other diesel junk.
2,512 Posts
Von, why make the decision to part it out before you've even seen it up close? Is there something major that is wrong with it that wasn't disclosed in the ad?

·
Registered
1980 U1000 Turbo...
1,522 Posts
Why are you going to part it out?

Is there something wrong with it? The Add was deleted before I could read it...

It would just be sad to see a decent little mog parted out if it could have been fixed up... Especially for that price.
Simple, he wants to make more money out of it.

·
Registered
1973 416 Doka, 1978 416 Doka, 1980 416 Doka..... Help me, I can't stop buying them!!!
2,627 Posts
Simple, he wants to make more money out of it.
Exactly, Truck is worth more in parts than it is whole. Last time I had one for sale as a whole for only $8200 no one wanted it. Got way more for the all the parts, and kept a dozen mogs still on the road. Less work, more food on the table by parting it out. So if anyone is looking for anything, let me know.

·
Registered
1978 406.120 1977 416
522 Posts
Exactly, Truck is worth more in parts than it is whole. Last time I had one for sale as a whole for only $8200 no one wanted it. Got way more for the all the parts, and kept a dozen mogs still on the road. Less work, more food on the table by parting it out. So if anyone is looking for anything, let me know.
Hey Von...
No offense, but..
AHHH... That is a Historic little Mog! Couldn't you find a thrashed Mog to buy and cut up,
and leave that one for someone to put some love into?
Aren't organ donors usually dead first!!!
It looks like "The little Mog that could!" ( TOOOT, TOOOT!!!!!!!)

You can call me a Moghugger, no problem!
Sure Mogs need parts, but there are beat ones out there, that would be happy to be parted out into working Mogs.
I thought that there might be considerations other than the $... is that not what is flushing America/the planet down the toilet?
If you can't resell it for a profit, maybe don't buy it... someone else will! A thrashed one will come along your way.
OOOPS are my Colors are showing?...
Again, no offense intended, Take care.

Best
Slothmog A.K.A. "Moghugger"
My $500 worth...

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
I called up Von to see if he needed a number for shipping. He said he already had one and that the mog didn't run. Chances are anyone wanting to buy it would probably have to put more money into it than it's probably worth. Sure it looks cute, but sounds more like a parts truck to me. Like he said, he had one for sale a little over $8k and no takers.

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
Doesn't look too bad. The colors can always be changed. That looks like a case deck & ROPS/FOPS system.

Rail mogs need serious air supply to disengage the rail car brakes which in this case, hauling the 8 cars, would be on the order of 64 brake chambers that would need to be charged. That might be a heat exchanger for a hydraulic driven compressor.
Yep, looks like an air compressor unit and tanks on the roof.

·
Registered
1978 406.120 1977 416
522 Posts
Dam Moghugger!

I called up Von to see if he needed a number for shipping. He said he already had one and that the mog didn't run. Chances are anyone wanting to buy it would probably have to put more money into it than it's probably worth. Sure it looks cute, but sounds more like a parts truck to me. Like he said, he had one for sale a little over $8k and no takers.
Aloha Kschlege,
I guess being that I am from "Rust Hell" (Hawaii), mechanical is easy. $2500.00 for an OM352, with a starting price of not much more than 5 grand, is still a go. But I have not talked to Von so I don't know what else is wrong with it.
If no one buys it for 5200, maybe they will sell it for less and it will be more realistic to fix?
To me when it's a rust bucket is when its done!
Well maybe take pictures so that the grand kids can see what a rail mog looked like.
Anyone know of any old rail road buffs that would like a historical project?
To me rust is the factor for the "hot wrench".
It's hard to see unrusty mogs get parted out.
If you ever want to see "not worth fixing" come on over to the Big Island of Hawaii, and I'll show you around. RUST SUCKS!

Take care
"Moghugger"

·
Registered
4Sale: 230G, U1200 Ag, 1017A, lots of MB cars, Volvo c303, 416 raildoka, LR D110 TDi
1,217 Posts
From the point of view from someone who does not really have any emotional attachment to vehicles/equipment... A Case 406 is not rare, there were tons of them made, and tons of them setting around the country. The truck needs work to run and drive, and it is a drum brake truck. In today's market, a running and driving 406 mog that needs paint, probably some body work, has narrow rail wheels, and needs tires is at most worth $6500-7000, and will take a while to get that money for it. You also have the headache of 9,000,000 people who will ask about it, nit pick it, want to buy it for $1,500, ect because of the fact that it is a cheap mog. If it needs any work to the engine and trans, you are talking money and time, so if the asking price was paid, then there is no way to make enough money to cover more than the shipping. On the other hand with parting it out, the parts will sell faster, and the parts are worth more money off of a good truck rather than rusty stuff off of rusty parts trucks. AND everyone had the chance to buy it and Von put his money up first.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,
Ben

·
Registered
1978 416.115
1,035 Posts
I hate to see mogs get torched just as much as the next person, but an old rusted out mog generally has more issues than body rust. Probably a bad frame, 100K's on the odometer, rusted parts, etc...

There's not much use for a Rail mog unless maybe you own a railroad museum.

I guess you could strip it down and use it for a farm or something, but by time you put the money into it, you'd be better off trying to find a decent case.

·
Registered
1978 406.120 1977 416
522 Posts
Hey Guys,
I totally see what your saying, I guess that I am not that detached.
You guys are way more experienced than I am, and see and have seen way more Mogs than I have.
I have not seen lots of Cases that you speak of, never seen a rail mog.
So from my nondetached newbe view it looks pretty darn good.
I understand the ecology of commerce as you've pointed out.
It is not that it isn't worth fixing, its parts are worth a lot, and Mog prices are very low these days.
Sooo Von, could we maybe get some detailed pictures of it and its rail system, before it is parted.
You know for the archives, and for those of us who are less experienced with Mogs, but still love all things UNIMOG.
I thought it was pretty cool to see the trains painted like the Mog, or is it viseversa?
I think that for many of us, Mogs of any type are pretty darn rare to see.
It sure is awesome to see all the different "hats" that Unimogs wear.
From rail shuttle, airplane tug with torque converter, AG Mogs, Traction head, street sweeper, Wild land Fire trucks, Unikinick, Plows, Blowers, sweepers, cranes, Full Expedition campers, off road rock crawlers, on and on it goes! The three way tipper rocks, as does the whole Unimog concept.
Form follows function(s) = Unimog
Thanks guys for your patience and view points.
Mogs for all.
Take care
Tim A.K.A Slothmog/Moghugger

1 - 20 of 63 Posts