Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 S600 Coupe. Former 83 300D, 97 C230, 93 400E, 92 500SL, a few others
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had the v12 out for the week instead of in storage and I've driven it twice, including today, about 40 miles on the interstate after it sat for 2 days in freezing temps. One thing I noticed 20 miles after I was at 65-75mph was op temp was around 70. I've seen it this low before, after I started using bg additive. But it didn't warm up to 80 until I did a kick-off run to 90and settled back down. Ok, it's cold out today but it was weird.

When I got back in the car after it was parked 20mins, there was a horribly pungent "shop smell" like fresh synthetic oil if you've ever held your nose to a bottle, or lived in a shop for a few minutes. I rolled the windows down and it dissipated, but my nose and throat started burning. Wtf! Freaked me out. I stopped off 20 miles later to do another errand. I haven't gotten back in it yet. Every time I roll the windows back up, the smell is there and it burns a little though it's obviously nowhere near as concentrated. What's this? What I look at? Car is running fine and oil pressure fine and car is at 80 now.

·
Premium Member
'97 CL600
2,857 Posts
Can't help with the smell (do you live in NJ? hee-hee) But it sounds like you need a new thermostat. I was crossing the Cascades a couple of years ago during sleet and cold. I glanced down at my temp and it was 40C! Sure enough, the thermostat was locked open. I will admit, even with a new thermostat it takes 5 miles to come up to temp even when it is in the 70's outside with the 12 cylinders. The plus side is that the car never overheats even at 120F. I think they aced the radiator size.
Anziani

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No issues with fuel economy/no sign of running rich. So I stopped and opened the hood after the 2nd 20 mile leg. The smell was isolated and abundant on top of the abs pump. No signs of leaks, no issues braking, no warning lights. I then drove It to my next stop, another 15 miles or so, opened theold and checked for the smell.....vanished. Doesn't smell above the abs pump anymore. Fluid not visibly low. Could a line be leaking brake fluid onto the exhaust manifold and atomizing it in such a way it's moving into a cockpit and literally singeing my sinuses?

·
Registered
18 Posts
So I've had the v12 out for the week instead of in storage and I've driven it twice, including today, about 40 miles on the interstate after it sat for 2 days in freezing temps. One thing I noticed 20 miles after I was at 65-75mph was op temp was around 70. I've seen it this low before, after I started using bg additive. But it didn't warm up to 80 until I did a kick-off run to 90and settled back down. Ok, it's cold out today but it was weird.

When I got back in the car after it was parked 20mins, there was a horribly pungent "shop smell" like fresh synthetic oil if you've ever held your nose to a bottle, or lived in a shop for a few minutes. I rolled the windows down and it dissipated, but my nose and throat started burning. Wtf! Freaked me out. I stopped off 20 miles later to do another errand. I haven't gotten back in it yet. Every time I roll the windows back up, the smell is there and it burns a little though it's obviously nowhere near as concentrated. What's this? What I look at? Car is running fine and oil pressure fine and car is at 80 now.
Check for overfilled tranny the oil will blow out of the vent or out of the harness plug adapter

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I mean, ok, but the trans was serviced 10k and 2 and a half years ago and this just started. I will also say no smell when I drove it back for its final leg of my jaunt.

I'm not losing my mind here, I promise. I'm sending it to my guys Monday to get it on a lift and look over everything for leaks.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok guys, I promise I am not crazy. I had it at the shop and my guy found the hydraulic fluid low. He said everything is dry and he can't find a leak. There has to be a leak. There is no other explanation. This was a catastrophic issue that occurred upon sitting outside 2 nights in a row in 24 and 21 degree ambient temperatures, that presented itself with a putrid smell in the cabin upon getting back into the car after it sat 30 minutes, after a 40 mile drive at 75mph. Again, when I opened the hood, the only area I found the smell was directly over the ABS pump. My GUT feeling says there is a leak under the ABS pump, just barely aft the firewall n the driver's side, that is dropping hydraulic fluid onto the exhaust manifold and thus entering the cabin that way.

Remember that the shocks, springs, and spheres were replaced in 2017. The pump and lines were not replaced. Everything has worked fine for 23 months and about 9k miles since then. My guy is getting impatient. Where should I point him? Does anyone have experience with a hydraulic failure in this area?

·
Registered
1994 S600 Coupe, 1995 S600 Coupe
1,728 Posts
It looks like any lines in that area from the ASR/SLS should be hard lines. There are some flexible lines near the tank, and the leveling valve, but that appears to be all.

Try taking a couple of drops of the hydraulic fluid and drop them on an exposed exhaust manifold with the engine running, and see if the smell it gives off matches. If so, keep looking for the hydraulic leak. If not, look for some other fluid.

Try getting the car on a lift and look at the bottom side. Take the splash pans off, and look for wet areas above exhaust components, or maybe even wiring sitting and melting on a manifold.

Jon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts